World of Color: Winter Dreams, a new holiday version of the popular World of Color show at Disney California Adventure has now premiered, adding even more to the holiday season at the Disneyland Resort.
Hosted by Olaf the snowman from the upcoming Disney animated feature “Frozen,” the new show combines new animation with classic winter scenes from beloved Disney and Pixar films. The show includes new music and special effects, along with new methods for utilizing the massive stage of water, color and light on which World of Color is presented.
Steve Davison, creative director of the original World of Color show also staged Winter Dreams. Davison, parades and spectaculars, executive for Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment, said: “I’m thrilled and amazed to see ‘World of Color – Winter Dreams’ come to life on the Paradise Bay. Each night as we worked on the programming, it was fun to see the magic happen as we blended the new music, animation, lasers and special effects into a dazzling holiday show.”
Adding an element of social media, the voices of singers from all 50 United States appear in the “Glow” carol, which opens the show. The participants signed up on a special World of Color Honor Choir website, operated by the Disneyland Resort and Grammy-winning composer Eric Whitacre, who has joined hundreds of voices online in “virtual choirs” that feature singers performing in front of their computer webcams.
World of Color – Winter Dreams unfolds in seven sequences, each one a dreamlike adventure:
• The Pre-Show: Glow Honor Choir Wonder – Season’s Greetings: features the World of Color Honor Choir singing “Glow,” written especially for this new show. Then Tinker Bell’s traditional greeting from “Wonderful World of Color” summons Old Man Winter and the skating Frost Fairies.
• Snow – A Winter Wonderland: Olaf takes guests on a breathtaking winter sleigh ride, encountering Bambi, Thumper and, from “Frozen,” sisters Anna and Elsa.
• Glow – A Season of Light: The holidays are celebrated with images of holiday cards created by Disneyland Resort guests and cast members.
• Enchantment – The Toy Story Nutcracker: This familiar ballet is danced in some delightful, offbeat renditions by favorite “Toy Story” characters.
• Spirit – Holiday Sing-Along: Snowman Olaf has always loved the idea of a warm summer. He innocently imagines himself enjoying the sunshine, then leads the audience in a holiday sing-along.
• Finale – Merry & Bright Holiday Lights: Olaf welcomes a surprising Santa as 700 newly installed lights blaze to life for a colorful finale around the lagoon.
• After Glow: Finale (Honor Choir)