The annual ABC Disney Parks Christmas Day television special is returning to film at Walt Disney World and Disneyland this year, but with some changes.
From Nov. 9-13, ABC will be taping portions of the Christmas special at all four Walt Disney World theme parks. Unlike previous years, the parade portion will not be taped in Florida. Instead, the parade will take place at Disneyland in California. There’s no word yet when it will take place.
For Walt Disney World, there will be multiple musical performances and stage show elements taped throughout the days above at all four parks. Guests are welcome to stop and watch the tapings during regular park hours, but specific tickets to be part of the audience before and after park hours are only available to cast members and their guests.
UPDATE #1(10/28/16): Cast Members can now request tickets for the taping for the following dates, locations and times:
• Nov. 9 at Magic Kingdom: Morning
• Nov. 9 at Magic Kingdom: Evening
• Nov. 10 at Magic Kingdom: Morning
• Nov. 10 at Magic Kingdom: Midday
• Nov. 10 at Epcot: Afternoon
• Nov. 11 at Magic Kingdom: Morning
• Nov. 11 at Magic Kingdom: Midday
• Nov. 12 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Afternoon
UPDATE #2(11/2/16): New details have been announced about the specials being taped. Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood and Kelly Clarkson are confirmed to be performing for the tapings, with Brooks and Yearwood on the Cinderella Castle stage and Clarkson performing at locations around the Walt Disney World Resort.
There will be three specials airing on ABC and Disney Channel over the holidays:
• ‘The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration’ will air Nov. 24 at 8 p.m. on ABC
• ‘Disney Parks Presents: A Descendants Magical Holiday Celebration’ will air Nov. 25 at 8 p.m. on Disney Channel
• ‘The Disney Parks’ Magical Christmas Celebration’ will air Dec. 25 at 9 a.m. on ABC
Julianne and Derek Hough, sibling dancers from ABC’s “Dancing With The Stars,” will be hosting the two specials on ABC. The stars of “Descendants 2” will perform Christmas songs at Walt Disney World on their special for Disney Channel.
This year will mark the first in the special’s 33-year history that some part of the parade portion will not take place at Walt Disney World. The special has also undergone several name changes over the years, with last year’s name being based off the “Unforgettable Happens Here” advertisement campaign. There’s no word if there will be another name change this year.
Also new this year is the plan to tape multiple specials that will air in both November and December on ABC and the Disney Channel.
Take a look at the playlist below to see some of our behind the scenes videos from over the years of the Christmas Day special.