It’s a wonderful world of color with the opening of Colortopia presented by Glidden, a new exhibit inside Innoventions at Epcot that entertains and informs guests about the power of color.
Together, the Glidden brand and Epcot welcome park guests to explore the many aspects of color and the impact it has on the world around them. At the Colortopia, guests can walk through three unique areas to encounter interactions that bring to life color theory, the psychology of color and the perception of color.
A visit to the interactive, over 3,700-square-foot Colortopia exhibit is expected to last about 30 minutes.
“Combining Glidden paint’s rich tradition of innovation and color inspiration with the creative power of Walt Disney Imagineering was a perfect collaboration to create a one-of-a-kind experience that engages visitors with color in ways they never have before,” said Max Wetzel, chief marketing officer and general manager of home centers, PPG Architectural Coatings, U.S. and Canada, makers of Glidden paint. “With the Glidden brand, we know the important role color plays when selecting paint for your home. Color also has a powerful role in our everyday lives, and it is truly brought to life in the Colortopia exhibit.”
“Starting with Disney’s premier full-color film in 1932, our company has been fascinated by color,” said Melissa Valiquette, vice president, Epcot. “That fascination is evident throughout our parks and our resorts and is why we’re thrilled to collaborate with Glidden as we work together to bring Colortopia to life for our guests.”
The Colortopia exhibit by Glidden paint is comprised of three zones where guests can experience color in an entertaining, interactive environment:
• “The Power of Color” – In this special designed standing theater, guests will enjoy a short presentation, narrated by Ty Burrell, that explores the psychology of color by immersing them in a full spectrum of colors.
• “The Color Lab” – Guests can play Color Mix ‘n Match, an interactive game that allows them to mix red, green and blue to create bold new colors. A second interactive station, Spinning Spectrums, teaches guests about the persistence of vision through painted spinning discs. Here guests can try to guess what color their eyes will perceive once the multi-colored discs start to spin quickly.
• “Color Our World” – Guests can play with fun color shadows while they wait to receive a magic paint brush, which they can use in the studio to bring the world around them to life with their personal color choices.
The Colortopia experience extends beyond the exhibit with the Colortopia mobile app and website, allowing guests to bring a world of colorful fun into their own homes. The palette of options include:
• In-Park Mobile Interaction – Guests can play an interactive color-matching game that responds to the illuminated walls of the pavilion itself, or they can save the colorful murals created in “Color Our World” to continue the fun at home.
• World Showcase Color Palette – The Colortopia app unlocks Glidden paint color palettes as guests travel around the World Showcase at Epcot. By collecting and saving the unique Glidden paint palettes inspired by each country within the World Showcase, guests can bring home color inspiration from their vacation for use in their own homes.
• Bring a World of Color Home – The app enables users to photograph and digitally paint their own home spaces and décor using unique Glidden paint color palettes inspired by each country within World Showcase at Epcot as well as 96 other Glidden colors.
• Grab Color Inspiration From a Photo – With just a click, the app can match colors from photos from users’ mobile device camera or photo library with the closest shades from the Glidden palette. Users can also colorize their personal photos with a range of vivid palettes.