Whether you know him as the Dark Knight, the World’s Greatest Detective, or the Caped Crusader, beginning this month you can help DC celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary with special events around the world.
DC’s multifaceted campaign for Batman’s 80th anniversary kicked of at SXSW in Austin, Texas, on March 15 when more than 1.5 million bats were released to fly into the night over Austin’s famous Congress Bridge. SXSW also featured multiple fan experiences, photo opportunities, limited-edition merchandise and an Instagrammable mural by a local artist inspired by Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.
Batman’s 80th anniversary will also feature exclusive celebrations, special theatrical engagements, the milestone release of Detective Comics #1000, live events and first-ever Batman brand partnerships. And in September, DC’s character will be honored through Batman Day when the Bat-Signal lights up in major cities worldwide.
First appearing as socialite turned crime-fighter Bruce Wayne in Detective Comics #27 on March 30, 1939, the Dark Knight has influenced every area of modern entertainment, appearing in countless comic books, Saturday morning cartoons, multiple television series, video games, theme parks and experiences, toys, collectibles, apparel and lifestyle products, as well as animated and live-action films. There have been Batman trading cards, board games and newspaper cartoon strips, and the U.S. Postal Service has even honored Batman with his own postage stamps.
Batman fans can join in the celebration by using the hashtag #LongLiveTheBat throughout 2019 (including Batman’s 80th anniversary on March 30 and Batman Day on Sept. 21) and participate in the following activities:
• Paying homage to the Super Hero’s 80-year publishing history, DC will present two commemorative books: including the landmark collector’s issue of Detective Comics #1000, on sale at comics shops March 27, and a special hardcover release, Detective Comics: 80 Years of the Batman Edition, available March 19.
• Families can celebrate #LongLiveTheBat at multiple Six Flags locations across North America in August with extended hours, exclusive Batman-themed experiences and special merchandise. Warner Bros. theme parks across the globe, including Warner Bros. Movie World Australia, Parque Warner Madrid and Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi, will host Batman 80th anniversary events.
• DC will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary with panels at major conventions, including a dedicated “Happy Birthday, Batman!” panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on the actual anniversary, March 30.
• Generations of fans across the globe will gather together to honor the timeless hero on Batman Day, September 21. The Bat-Signal will light up in major cities worldwide, alongside a wide array of fan celebrations, including interactive photo opportunities, live music, food, games and more. Plus, fans will race across the finish line in their favorite Caped Crusader attire in a series of 5K and 10K runs in select cities.
• Madame Tussauds locations in Orlando and Sydney will unveil interactive fan-friendly experiences, photo opportunities and special merchandise in September.
• In May, collectible art boutique Mondo will host a curated anniversary exhibit at its Austin gallery celebrating iconic Batman cover art throughout the years.
• The global touring exhibition The Art of the Brick: DC Superheroes will celebrate the Dark Knight with a special Batman edition, beginning this September in São Paulo, Brazil.
• Romics—the comic book, animation and gaming convention in Rome, Italy—will host an immersive Batman 80th anniversary exhibit in April.
• Designed for fans of all ages, visitors to Shanghai this summer will be treated to a first-of-its-kind special exhibit celebrating Batman.
Otter Media brands Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, VRV and Fullscreen will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary through a variety of programming and social campaigns designed to amplify DC’s global campaign.
• AT&T will activate across retail, digital and DirecTV, which will celebrate the anniversary with a Batman-branded channel. Plus, AT&T customers will get insider access through AT&T Thanks to Batman content, comics, merchandise, exclusive fan experiences and more.
• Television broadcast partners worldwide will host Batman programming marathons in March and September.
• Cartoon Network in the U.S. and key territories will host exclusive Batman themed programming and stunts for kids in March and September.
• DC Universe—DC’s digital subscription service—will be celebrating in a big way with the promotion of Batman content in March and September.
• Boys & Girls Clubs of America will join Batman in a first-ever partnership to celebrate kids, teens and youth development professionals who stand up for positive change in their communities. The campaign kicks off in April during National Boys & Girls Clubs Week.
• In honor of military appreciation month this May, DC will partner with the USO, the iconic military support nonprofit, on a special Batman-themed USO2GO kit featuring comics, movies, TV shows, games and more. The kit will offer a fun diversion for service members stationed in remote locations around the globe, connecting them to home and all things Dark Knight.
• Fans in the UK can join in raising awareness of Genetic Disorders UK by wearing an exclusively designed Batman T-shirt on Jeans for Genes Day in September.
• WB and DC are also joining forces with an extensive list of retail partners, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, iTunes, Walmart, GameStop and Google Play, among others.
• Global partners such as Lego, Mattel and Funko will release exclusive Batman 80th anniversary products throughout the year.
Conceived by artist Bob Kane with writer Bill Finger, Batman is humanity’s timeless hero. And he’s just getting started. More details on the global celebration will be released in the coming months.
Visit Batman80.com for the latest news and updates, and watch these videos of Batman attractions around the world: