Summer might feel a little different this year, but it’s still an excellent time for reading. To encourage kids and their families to open a book and spark their imaginations, Disney Publishing Worldwide has introduced its first-ever Summer Reading List. After all, as Walt Disney himself once said, “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
The 15 recommended books will engage readers (and pre-readers) ages 0 to 16 with new books from fan-favorite authors like New York Times bestselling author Kwame Mbalia, Pixar animator Mike Wu, and Serena Valentino, as well as classic Disney stories and educational titles from National Geographic.
The reading list includes “Zeus the Mighty: The Quest for the Golden Fleas” (for ages 7-10), the adventures of a hamster who believes he is a Greek god, and “Straight on Til Morning” (for ages 12+), a twisted Peter Pan tale that wonders what would happen if Wendy had traveled to Neverland with Captain Hook. Plus, curious readers can learn how the natural world inspires technology in “Beastly Bionics: Rad Robots, Brilliant Biomimicry, and Incredible Inventions Inspired by Nature” (for ages 7-10) and can even discover new worlds in “Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky” (for ages 8-12).
As part of Disney’s commitment to inspire the next generation of storytellers — and to give more young readers access to books this summer and beyond — Disney Publishing Worldwide is donating one million books to Boys & Girls Clubs across the country. Along with the donation, Disney will also provide the Boys & Girls Club with virtual programming opportunities led by Disney authors and illustrators.
Chad Royal-Pascoe, the national vice president of corporate & cause partnerships for Boys & Girls Clubs of America, notes that this donation comes at an especially challenging time for many families. “We have a long-standing relationship with Disney and are thrilled to bring one million books to children who participate in our programs,” he said. “We know it will go a long way.”
Families can visit shopDisney to check out the list, explore additional books from Disney Publishing Worldwide, and expand their interaction with the stories through craft and activity kits available here.
Many of the books on the list are available in eBook, audiobook, and print formats.
Disney Summer Reading List
- “100 First Words Lift-the-Flap Book”
- “Frozen 2 – Anna, Elsa and The Secret River”
- “Little Kids First Board Book: Dinosaurs”
- “Ellie Book” by Mike Wu
- “What About Worms?” by Ryan Higgins
- “Little Kids First Big Book of Animals”
- “Zeus the Mighty: The Quest for the Golden Fleas” by Crispin Boyer
- “Beastly Bionics: Rad Robots, Brilliant Biomimicry, and Incredible Inventions Inspired by Nature” by Jennifer Swanson
- “Peter & Ned’s Ultimate Travel Journal”
- “Disney Chills: Part of Your Nightmare” by Vera Strange
- “Explorer Academy: The Nebula Secret” by Trudi Trueit
- “Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky” by Kwama Mbalia
Young Adult (Ages 12 and up)
- “Star Wars: Queen’s Peril” by E.K. Johnston
- “Straight on Til Morning: A Twisted Tale” by Liz Braswell
- “Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch Book” by Serena Valentino