Disney World cast member in need of a kidney donor

If you’ve seen a parade at the Magic Kingdom you’ve probably seen Olga. But what you wouldn’t know is that this Walt Disney World cast member is need of a kidney. Her fellow friends and cast members are helping to raise money for her treatment and are helping in her search for a donor.

Olga Rivera is a parade captain at the Magic Kingdom. But she’s not only a cast member, she’s also a good friend to many and a mom who is suffering from stage 5 kidney failure. She’s on dialysis but needs a kidney as soon as possible. Because she has a high antibody load, she needs a living donor – which isn’t easy to find. A Facebook group was started to try to spread the word.

According to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, 95,599 people in the United States are awaiting a kidney transplant. There are 3,332 Floridians waiting for a kidney donation.

Olga’s friends are selling green bracelets (kidney disease), with all the proceeds going to the cost of her transplant. The bands are one for $3 or two for $5. More information about purchasing the bands is available on the Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/akidneyforolga

Potential donors will fill out a living donor application packet, then will:
• Give an initial blood test to determine compatibility, blood type and matching.
• Attend a donor education meeting.
• Undergo a psychosocial, nephrology and sugical evaluation with CT scan.
Some tests may need repeated and cardiac testing will be done if you’re 50 or older.

If you’re considering donating a kidney to Olga, please contact Olga’s living donor coordinator, Christina Fuentes RN-BC, at 407-303-3626 or [email protected] Anything discussed will be strictly confidential.

Ad1

David Ritterhouse September 6, 2011 - 1:25 pm

Shame there is no fast pass for her. Get in line like my uncle did. He had to wait just like everyone else.

George schuller August 13, 2017 - 10:34 pm

Your way out of line for that comment Grow up!

Nadi September 6, 2011 - 5:06 pm

Good luck olga, I hope and pray that you get your wish, here in the uk people must carry a donor card and register that they give consent for their organs to be gifted, I’m not sure how it’s done in the USA, but I hope people read this and if they are considering donoring, make sure they let it be known to their family members or carry the card, I carry mine.
you’ve clearly been a part of making so much magic for families for a long time, I hope the magic finds it’s way to you x

Liza Accornero September 6, 2011 - 6:25 pm

@David Ritterhouse… I find your comment a little harsh and rude! … Just like your uncle did and everyone else she’s on a waiting list… She got in line! It just so happens that she has a lot of friends and HUGE Support Group that loves her and wants to help her out… emotionally, financially and hopefully be able to find a matching donor for her!

Atabeira Ramos, LMT September 6, 2011 - 7:13 pm

I wish you the best Olga! You have so many people that love you and will be there with you every step of the way. Our hearts go out to you! <3

amaryllis September 7, 2011 - 5:01 am

Olga you have the support of lots and lots of people that care about you and love you and we will be with you every step of tqhe way so even if you think you might fall there will always be somebody there to help you back up… we love you…

David J Undis September 7, 2011 - 11:48 am

Your story about Olga Rivera and Organ Donation highlighted the tragic shortage of human organs for transplant operations.

There are now over 110,000 people on the National Transplant Waiting List, with over 50% of these people dying before they get a transplant. Most of these deaths are needless. Americans bury or cremate 20,000 transplantable organs every year.

There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage – give donated organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to register as organ donors. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. Everyone who is willing to receive should be willing to give.

Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at http://www.lifesharers.org or by calling
1-888-ORGAN88. There is no age limit, parents can enroll their minor children, and no one is excluded due to any pre-existing medical condition. LifeSharers has over 14,700 members as of this writing, including 1281 members in Florida.

Please contact me – Dave Undis, Executive Director of LifeSharers – if your readers would like to learn more about our innovative approach to increasing the number of organ donors. I can arrange interviews with some of our local members if you’re interested. My email address is [email protected]. My phone number is 615-351-8622.

demon666 September 7, 2011 - 6:04 pm

Disney makes millions of dollars everyday, your telling me they cant find this lady a donor? smh

Lilmsfrz182 August 13, 2017 - 10:42 pm

The problem is finding a living donor. Disney cant force a living person to donate an organ.

Debi September 9, 2011 - 1:39 pm

My love and prayers are for you Olga and your friends and family. The love they must feel for you should give you warmth. After speaking with Christina Fuentas RN, she told me to go to fhtransplant.com for the application and more information. If not accepted for Olga, hopefully I can help someone. Take care and God Bless

Christina Fuentes, RN-BC, CCTC September 9, 2011 - 1:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am the living donor advocate and coordinator at Olga’s transplant center. Please if you are interested in kidney donation for Olga, please first visit our website at: http://www.fhtransplant.com to obtain the application under the Living Donation section. You may send the completed application to:

2415 N. Orange Ave, Suite 700
Orlando, FL 32804.

or email directly to me. If you have questions after reading our donor application packet, please contact me by phone.

Thank you for your interest in donation!
Christina Fuentes, RN-BC, CCTC
Living Donor Advocate and Transplant Coordinator
Florida Hospital Transplant Center

livingdonor101 September 21, 2011 - 11:46 am

Medicare Final Rule 2007 requires every transplant center to have an Independent Living Donor Advocate. To quote: “the living donor advocate or living donor advocate team must not be involved in transplantation activities on a routine basis.”

A Transplant Coordinator is paid by the transplant facility to schedule appointments and coordinate the schedules of the recipient’s and living donor’s surgical teams. This is a direct violation of Final Rule 2007.

Details and full text available here: http://www.livingdonor101.com/legal.shtml

Alfredo Majuri October 5, 2011 - 1:23 am

Olga, you know we Will Find one, you Will have the fast pass, you might have to wait in line now, but someone Will pull you out of the line and you’ll get in right away. Love you, always and miss you!

Matthew January 27, 2012 - 6:49 am

I am A pos?

Matthew January 27, 2012 - 6:54 am

I am currently deployed. I will be back in he states in beginning of April. I am a healthy US Marine, 38, eat well, hardly drink, don’t use tobacco or drugs and never have. I have 2 children and a wife. I am a positive person and believe in God.

Jason January 27, 2012 - 10:47 pm

Prayers and love go out to Olga! I’ve worked with her many times over the years! Praying the right donor comes along!!!!<3

santio cupon January 28, 2012 - 1:11 am

As a friend and supporter of Olga, I am proud to do what it takes to help out a fellow American. I may not be able to give a kidney to her but I have other ways I can help.

On February 9, 2012 I will be co-hosting a benefit for Olga. This night will be filled with friends showing support to Olga through Art. If you are in the area and would like to come and support Olga, come and join us.

Queens For A Kidney
February 9, 2012
10:00pm – 2:00am
Sun On The Beach
West 192 @ Old Town
Kissimmee, FL.

If you have any questions about this benefit please contact Landa Plenty at [email protected]

Hope to see you there!!

Katy January 28, 2012 - 3:07 am

Olga is fantastic! A friend to everyong- kind, honest, funny. A real joy. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Can’t wait to see you when I get home.

Alfredo Majuri April 26, 2012 - 11:02 pm

To David Ritterhouse, right Now 7 months later I am seating at the Florida Hospital, because my friend Olga got her kidney transplant! You see she got her FAST PASS. And I am very happy for her! Good luck man! Bammm!!!!

Olga rivera April 28, 2012 - 5:18 pm

Im very happy 2 days ago a got my kidney tranplant, thank you for the support <3

Liza Accornero May 2, 2012 - 2:13 pm

Olga I’m so happy for you my friend! GOD is great! He answered all of our prayers just like I know he will answer everybody elses for all of those other people standing in line… they will also get their Fast Passes! XOXO