For the first time ever, the classic holiday film “A Christmas Story” will be recreated as an immersive attraction inside Ice! – the signature holiday experience at Gaylord Palms Resort.
“A Christmas Story” has been a holiday staple for years, and now guests will be able to experience the classic film in a new way inside Ice!
The family story will come to life at Gaylord Palms through hand-carved ice sculptures and displays, where guests can relive iconic scenes from the film, including The Old Man’s Major Award, Aunt Clara’s pink nightmare, and the ultimate trip dog dare at the school’s flagpole.
“We’re thrilled to see this Christmas classic brought to life inside Ice! for the first time ever,” said Johann Krieger, general manager for Gaylord Palms Resort. “We know that ‘A Christmas Story’ has been a holiday tradition for so many people over the years, and we hope that guests can join us to make Ice! a part of their tradition as well.”
The Ice! attraction is created by artisans from Harbin, China, home of the world’s largest ice and snow sculpture festival, who travel over 6,000 miles to hand-carve more than two million pounds of ice into larger-than-life sculptures.
This year, guests can enjoy more than a dozen scenes from “A Christmas Story,” as well as the event’s two-story ice slides and the Frostbite Factory live ice carving showcase. The experience comes to a close with a separate area featuring a traditional Nativity created with crystal clear ice.
Other new experiences for this year’s event include:
- The Elf on the Shelf Character Breakfast at the award-winning buffet restaurant Villa de Flora, where guests can join Santa’s Official Scout Elves for a fun and festive breakfast. Guests can enjoy classic breakfast favorites and live cooking stations in addition to visits from Santa’s elves as they dine.
- Dreams of Christmas, an all-new light show, will make its debut inside the St. Augustine atrium. This multi-sensory experience will feature a new musical score with millions of dancing, choreographed lights all around the resort’s six-story Christmas tree during nightly shows.
Returning favorites to Ice! include:
- Cirque Dreams Unwrapped, a 25-minute action-packed experience featuring acrobatics, theatrical feats, and imagination that will bring holiday thrills to life.
- Guests exploring the Everglades atrium can enjoy the Christmas Tree Trail, a display of nine trees decorated by Sparkle the Elf, Santa’s chief Christmas Tree Decorator. Each tree will represent one of Sparkle’s favorite things about Christmas.
- The interactive Reindeer Express Post Office returns this year, where guests can write down their top Christmas wishes on a postcard and send it off to Santa.
- The Alpine Village will once again be the central hub for holiday offerings. Guests can come here to enjoy various attractions and shows, take photos with Santa, enjoy seasonal food and beverage options and shop holiday retail locations.
- Gingerbread Decorating Corner will return, with its new location inside the brand-new Alpine Village Sweet Shop. Guests can choose a gingerbread house or a themed cookie kit to decorate. The Alpine Village Sweet Shop will also offer other candies and treats for purchase, and the gingerbread friends Cinnamon and Nutmeg will be on hand for hugs and photos.
- Mrs. Claus’ Christmas Traditions will have the First Lady of the North Pole leading a half-hour interactive show. Guests can enjoy holiday stories and a sing-a-long, in addition to a finale of warm cookies and cold milk.
- Santa’s Snow Throw will put real snow in guests’ hands as they toss snowballs at a variety of targets created by Santa’s elves.
- Snow tubing will send guests of all ages zooming down an eight-lane tubing hill covered in real snow.
This year’s Ice! themes at other Gaylord resorts are:
- Ice! featuring A Charlie Brown Christmas – Gaylord National in Washington, D.C.
- Ice! featuring Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Gaylord Opryland in Nashville, Tenn.
- Ice! featuring Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Gaylord Texan in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area
To learn more about the holidays at Gaylord Palms Resort, and to book a vacation package, visit ChristmasAtGaylordPalms.com.