Fans of the “How to Train Your Dragon” franchise will have the chance to immerse themselves in the Hidden World with an exclusive virtual reality experience from Walmart, DreamWorks Animation, and Spatial&.
Just ahead of the release of “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” on Feb. 22, the film’s Virtual Tour visit select Walmart parking lots. The tour will also feature “How to Train Your Dragon” merchandise available for purchase in a branded, immersive gift shop.
The experience will begin in an onboarding room where the film’s twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut will greet guests and set the scene. Participants will then be led into a dragon’s cave to put on headsets and sit in specialized Positron motion VR chairs powered by the HP VR backpack, before setting off on a truly lifelike five-minute journey through the Hidden World with Astrid, Hiccup, Toothless, Hookfang, and more.
This experience gives guests ages 8 and up the chance to interact with characters from the films through immersive real-world sound, motion, and sensory cues.
“We have set an extremely high bar for quality and innovation for the ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ franchise, and our partners at Spatial& exceeded our expectations with their incredible work on this project,” said Abhijay Prakash, chief operating officer of DreamWorks Feature Animation. “This latest Dragon film displays DreamWorks’ best in class creative abilities combined with state of the art advances in animation technology, and we are thrilled that this experience created by Spatial& lives up to that reputation while allowing fans to journey straight to the center of this unique world we’ve created for the film. It’s a truly exhilarating experience.”
After the VR experience, guests will be guided into the themed gift shop, where they can purchase memorabilia featuring the characters they interacted with. Items for sale will include plush toys, action figures, DVDs, video games, and more. Select merchandise from the collection will also be available in 2,000 Walmart stores nationwide and online.
The “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” Virtual Tour will visit the following cities and Walmart stores between Feb. 15 – April 9:
- Burbank, Calif. (1301 N. Victory Place) – Feb. 15-16
- Pico Rivera, Calif. (8500 Washington Boulevard) Feb. 17-19
- Anaheim, Calif. (440 Euclid Street) – Feb. 22-23
- San Bernardino, Calif. (4001 Hallmark Parkway) – Feb. 24-26
- Las Vegas, Nev. (5200 S. Fort Apache Road) – March 1-2
- North Las Vegas, Nev. (6464 N. Decatur Boulevard) – March 3-5
- Glendale, Ariz. (5010 N. 95th Avenue) – March 8-9
- Gilbert, Ariz. (2501 S. Market Street) – March 10-12
- San Antonio, Texas (8923 W. Military Drive) – March 15-16
- New Braunfels, Texas (1209 S. Interstate 35) – March 17-19
- Grand Prairie, Texas (2225 I-20) – March 22-23
- Allen, Texas (730 W. Exchange Parkway) – March 24-26
- Sugar Land, Texas (345 Highway 6) – March 24-26
- Katy, Texas (1313 N. Fry Road) – March 31 – April 2
- Rogers, Ark. (4208 S. Pleasant Crossing Boulevard) – April 5-6
- Bentonville, Ark. (406 S. Walton Boulevard) – April 7-9
Check out the trailer for “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” below: