Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is once again delivering space to living rooms around the world through four new spring sessions of its popular virtual Camp Kennedy Space Center (Camp KSC).
Through 3-hour virtual Camp KSC sessions, elementary school students can participate in hands-on science, technology, engineering, and math activities centered on NASA-based science and engineering from the safety and comfort of home. Each day of the three-day online camp, kids connect to a Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex education staff member in real-time via Zoom video conference. Participants will receive kits with experiment supplies before the start of camp. Then, campers will complete activities focused on STEM learning during each camp session hosted from various visitor complex locations.
“We initially developed Virtual Camp KSC as a pivot from our in-person Camp KSC last year [and] were delighted at the outpouring of interest in the program, not just here in the U.S. but around the world,” said Therin Protze, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex chief operating officer. “Since we began in July of 2020, we’ve virtually hosted nearly 3,500 kids from 48 states and 17 countries. While nothing beats an in-person camp experience, the virtual program has become an excellent way for us to expand our reach to future space explorers near and far.”
Camp Kennedy Space Center activities are divided into “Alpha” and “Beta” as follows:
- Session One: Rocketry – Forward to the Moon – Hands-on missions based on the Apollo and Artemis programs
- Session Two: Low Earth Orbit – The Space Shuttle and International Space Station (ISS) – Challenges inspired by the ISS and Space Shuttle Program
- Session Three: Living and Working on Mars – Campers virtually travel to Mars and practice skills needed to colonize another planet
- Session One: Launching and Learning – Campers use household materials to build and launch different devices
- Session Two: Exploring Deep Space – Campers build models of the solar system using chemistry and physics
- Session Three: Living and World in Space – Campers perform experiments and engineering design challenges to understand microgravity
Following are the dates for the virtual Camp KSC spring sessions:
- March 16-18, 2021 at 10 a.m. ET – Beta activities
- March 23-25, 2021 at 1 p.m. ET – Beta activities
- March 30-April 1, 2021 at 10 a.m. ET – Alpha activities
- April 6-8, 2021 at 1 p.m. ET – Alpha activities
Campers who completed previous virtual camps should note that camps before Dec. 22, 2020 used the Alpha activities and camps after Dec. 22, 2020 used Beta activities.
Virtual Camp KSC registration is $65 plus tax and includes one Zoom access code and one Camp Kit. The Zoom link and a kit containing supplies will be sent to campers before the start of the program. Only one virtual Camp KSC purchase is required for each household, and additional Camp Kits are available for $25 per kit plus tax.
Click here for more information and to register.