La Brea Bakery bread pudding recipe unveiled
La Brea Bakery Café closed in the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort on Jan. 9, 2023. Still, the La Brea Bakery operation continues by focusing on selling their baked goods in grocery stores, and as a result, they revealed their signature La Brea Bakery bread pudding recipe.
The restaurant’s bread pudding became a fan favorite at the Downtown Disney District location, but now fans can make it at home. As you might expect, a vital component of the recipe involves bread prepared by La Brea Bakery.
Signature La Brea Bakery Bread Pudding:
Prep Time: One Hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- One 22-ounce La Brea Bakery Round Italian Loaf, cut into ½ inch slices.
- 12 egg yolks at room temperature
- One cup plus two tablespoons of granulated sugar divided
- Three cups of milk at room temperature
- Three and one-half cups of heavy cream at room temperature
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One-half teaspoon of salt
- Three medium bananas, sliced
- One and one-third cups of white chocolate chips
- Three ounces of brown sugar
- Three ounces melted butter (for brushing the top of the bread pudding before topping)
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Place the bread slices on two cookie sheets and bake for ten minutes to dry out.
2. While the bread is baking, whisk the egg yolks and one cup of sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Then, add the milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until thoroughly combined and then set aside. Combine the brown sugar and the remaining two tablespoons of granulated sugar in a small bowl and mix until well blended. Once blended, set aside.
3. Remove the bread from the oven. Let bread cool for 10 minutes. The oven can be turned off at this point.
4. Heavily grease a deep 13 x 9 pan with butter. Place full slices of bread on the bottom of the pan to form a single layer.
5. Cut the remaining bread into cubes and add to the custard mixture. Add the banana slices and the white chocolate chips and mix until incorporated. Pour the custard mixture over the bread slices in the pan.
6. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the pan and place another pan on top of it to weigh down the bread and custard mixture. Let it sit for 30 minutes, so the mixture condenses.
7. After 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 350°F.
8. Remove the top pan and brush the top of the pudding with the melted butter, then sprinkle the sugar mixture over the entire top of the bread pudding. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the internal temperature registers 170°F. Cool for 30 minutes and serve.
Though La Brea Bakery Cafes closed, their bread continues to be sold in grocery stores such as Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Ralph’s, Vons, Pavilions, and more. This recipe can be found online at https://www.labreabakery.com/cafesignaturebreadpudding. Please use the store locator to find the nearest store selling La Brea Bakery bread.
Will you make this Signature Bread Pudding? Will you miss the La Brea Bakery Cafes? Let us know in the comments below.