Disneyland Resort is ringing in the Year of the Pig with Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure park, starting Friday, Jan. 25 – Sunday, Feb. 17.
During this multicultural event, guests can experience live entertainment and musical performances, including an enhanced “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession,” plus arts and crafts, festival décor, cuisine, and themed merchandise. Even the Three Little Pigs will make a rare appearance for the event.
Lunar New Year is traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese cultures to commemorate the moment when both the sun and moon start their journey for another year. Highlights of this year’s Lunar New Year celebration include:
“Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession”
This bright and bold parade hosted by Mulan and her dragon, Mushu honors the New Year and celebrates friendship and family. To celebrate the Year of the Pig, the Three Little Pigs (Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical) will join the procession in their full holiday attire, alongside Goofy in his “god of Good Fortune” costume and Chip ’n’ Dale in their red vests.
“Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” is enhanced this year with a longer processional route, traveling from Pixar Pier to Paradise Gardens Park. A troupe of Chinese performers will bring additional dancers, martial artists, and drummers for a bit of extra excitement.
Characters in their festive best
Guests will be able to meet characters like Mulan, Mushu, Pluto, Mickey and Minnie, all in their Lunar New Year attire as they greet guests in Paradise Gardens Park.
Four Asian marketplaces will offer foods inspired by Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese cultures, all with a distinct Disney twist. New for this year is the Sip and Savor Pass, which guests can purchase to get the best value as they sip and sample their way through the marketplaces.
This year’s Asian marketplaces are:
- Longevity Noodle Co.
- Lucky 8 Lantern
- Prosperity Bao & Buns
- Red Dragon Spice Traders
A special Lunar New Year menu can be found at Paradise Garden Grill, offering items inspired by traditional Asian food, as well as a new Festival Food and Beverage Cart inside Paradise Gardens.
Daily Authentic Performances
Guests celebrating Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure can enjoy live, daily performances, including:
- New for this year, the Melody of China ensemble will entertain guests will Chinese classical, folk, and contemporary music, with a trio of artists that play the yangqin (Chinese dulcimer), pipa (Chinese lute), and Erhu (Chinese fiddle).
- Vietnamese artist Dat Nguyen will play traditional and original compositions on classical guitar, lute, flute, and melodica at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
Other Festive Offerings
This year’s celebrations will feature other fun offerings, including:
- An area for guests to try complimentary arts and crafts with local artisans, including Chinese calligraphy, paper lantern making, and face painting.
- A Lucky Wishing Wall, where guests can add their own wishes for the New Year.
- Beautiful Lunar New Year décor, including ornamental lanterns and banners that wish guests a Happy New Year in English, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
- Lunar New Year merchandise inspired by different cultures in East Asia, like:
- Special items from Shanghai Disney Resort, including traditional red envelopes for gift-giving, Minnie Mouse ear headbands, lantern glow wands, and more.
- Commemorative items with Lunar New Year designs, including a limited-edition pin, adult hoodie, and T-shirts.
To learn more about Lunar New Year at the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com.
To plan your trip, we recommend MEI-Travel, our preferred travel agent. Get a free quote with no obligation now at MEI-Travel.com.