On Friday, Sept. 25, Disney+ will debut its newest original series from National Geographic, titled “Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.”
With this new eight-episode series, narrated by Josh Gad (“Frozen,” “Frozen II”), viewers will get an all-access pass to the magic of nature at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot.
The docuseries will show audiences more than 300 species and 5,000+ animals and the tasks their care experts take on to keep things running day and night, as well as how the animals at the parks’ like to spend their time, including:
- Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail – Hang out with the newest member of the family, baby Grace, named after the G.R.A.C.E. (Gorilla Rehabilitation and Conservation Education Center) gorilla sanctuary in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and help her dad and troop leader, Gino, celebrate his 39th birthday.
- Harambe Wildlife Reserve – Meet animal keeper Rory and met his best friend, giraffe Kenya; play fetch with black rhino Badru and his keeper, Katie.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris – Watch keeper Nicole give two hyenas a bath; see Dakari, the alpha male African lion, reign over his land; and meet Kinsey, the alpha lioness, who’s the real ruler of the pride.
- Discovery Island – Stop by the love nest of Carri and Bones, an endangered vulture couple, as animal keeper Tricia sets the mood for mating and becomes an “eggsitter.”
- Tiger Temple – See animal care experts employ extra creativity to keep critically endangered Sumatran tigers Anala and Sohni entertained.
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot – Meet some of the 3,000 ocean animals that call this place home, including an injured wild sea turtle, Harry; rescued manatees Lil’ Joe and Lou; Darby, a pregnant spotted eagle ray; and aquarist Amanda, who is also expecting.
“‘Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom’ captures the spirit of these two world-famous parks and its animals and ushers that feeling directly into viewers’ living rooms,” says narrator Gad. “Each episode, we get to know these animals intimately and are immersed in the magic of Disney, and it’s been a joy giving voice to this ultimate adventure.”
Filmed over the span of five months, this series incorporates a variety of technology, including custom-built GoPro enclosures, 18-foot cranes and underwater camera systems, in order to highlight the magic of these parks. Viewers will get to learn the details of each park, and see the many aspects of animal care, operations, and Imagineering at work.
“Whether you have visited our parks hundreds of times, or you are being introduced for the first time through ‘Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom,’ viewers will get an unparalleled, all-new experience as they meet some of the most intriguing animals in our care,” says Dr. Mark Penning, vice president of Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment for Disney Parks. “I’m extremely proud of the work our team does to accomplish and deliver on Disney’s commitment to best-in-class animal care and conservation as we aim to live in harmony with nature and protect the wondrous wildlife on our planet.”
Be sure to stream this unique series only on Disney+ starting Sept. 25.