Mermaids added to Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Magic Kingdom

First Capt. Jack Sparrow was added, then Barbosa, Davy Jones and Blackbeard. Now something else from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies have been added to the ride at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. Watch out for evil mermaids as seen in On Strange Tides.

After you ride past the ghostly projection on the fog screen at the start of the ride, look down to your left or right and you may see a shape splashing in the water. Then check out the famous beach scene and you’ll notice one of the skeletons doesn’t look like the others.

Here’s a video showing the creepy mermaids. Watch to the end to see them in slow motion:

Mermaids added to Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World

Kathy Seaman October 19, 2012 - 5:01 pm

Awesome!!! I’ll have to look when I go up next month or sooner!!! When did they do this?

Matt Roseboom October 19, 2012 - 5:31 pm

Today was the first day.

darthstich October 19, 2012 - 7:34 pm

Thumbs up to Attractions Mag! You are the only source I could find today that could confirm this rumor. I heard about it earlier today. Supposedly there is a second projection somewhere and Mermaid singing effect as well

Matt Roseboom October 19, 2012 - 9:02 pm

Thanks. There is a projection on both sides of the boat. If you listen in our video, you can hear them singing. It’s a song from the movie.

Jake Zimkiewicz October 20, 2012 - 1:47 pm

Great video! So glad you were able to add this. I’ve been searching EVERYWHERE!

Ramona October 22, 2012 - 1:10 pm

This is great!! LOVE the mermaids from the movie! Now speaking of Pirates, I do have to ask — does anyone out there happen to know when or even *IF* Davy Jones will ever be back on the waterfall projection? A lovely castmember friend had heard he would be back with the addition of the mermaids but according to the video, that doesn’t seem to be so. I am just personally a bigger fan of Davy Jones for that particular scene, so I’m really hoping to see him there again someday! Any updates anyone can share on that?! 🙂 Thanks!!

Zach October 22, 2012 - 10:50 pm

Ramona, Davy Jones has been back for awhile now at Disneyland. He and Blackbeard alternate. Not sure of the case at WDW.

Brooke October 25, 2012 - 7:09 pm

Do they still have the “dead men tell no tales” or did the mermaid song replace that…I only heard the “dead man tell no tales” once
🙁

Kolton November 1, 2012 - 6:12 pm

We just came back from Disney World. We went on the Pirates ride 3 times and I noticed the mermaid in the water the first time I went on the ride. My family only noticed the mermaid skeleton on the ‘beach’ scene.

James January 21, 2013 - 8:34 am

Love this ride, but wish we could have a new talking skull before the drop and the ghostly voices in the drop area returned! The removal of both does NOT make the ride more mysterious, it makes it very flat and boring.