By Andy Guinigundo
Anaheim, Calif. – It has been a long tradition that individuals who have made significant contributions to Disney are honored with a window on Main Street USA at Disneyland and Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. The Sherman brothers were so honored this past Thursday, March 11, 2010.
The casual amusement park or Disney fan may not recognize their names, but there is no doubt you’ve heard their music. Let’s examine a sampling of their contributions:
In the parks:
• It’s a Small World
• In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room
• From the Carousel of Progress – The Best Time of Your Life and It’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
• One Little Spark from Journey Into Imagination
And more …
At the movies:
• Mary Poppins
• The Jungle Book
• Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
• The Aristocats
• The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
• The Tigger Movie
• The Sword in the Stone
It’s not as if Robert and Richard Sherman have never been honored. Here’s a short list of their hardware: Academy Awards, Grammy, Christopher Awards, Laurel Awards, Golden Globe nominations and a National Medal of Honor. However, of all the awards, the only one we can go see anytime we want is the window on Main Street USA in Disneyland.
Thank you for the music.
• Andy Guinigundo is the author of the Out of The Loop column in “Orlando Attractions Magazine”. Out of the Loop keeps you up-to-date with attraction news outside of Central Florida. Andy lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with his wife and three daughters. He grew up frequenting theme parks around Ohio and making trips to Orlando with his family. While for most of the year, he’s out of the Orlando loop, he tries to visit Florida at least once a year.