Aboard each Disney Cruise Line ship, the Italian-inspired Palo restaurant offers a dining experience exclusively for adults… but you can bring the flavors home for everyone to enjoy with this recipe for its Chocolate Soufflé!
Check out the recipe below:
Palo Chocolate Soufflé
- 3 tablespoons of butter, plus more for greasing the soufflé cups
- 6 tablespoons of sugar, plus more for dusting the soufflé cups
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of Dutch-processed cocoa
- 2 ounces (2/3 cup) of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 4 eggs, separated
- Vanilla Sauce (ingredients and recipe below)
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 small egg yolks
For Chocolate Soufflé
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set a full kettle of water on to boil.
- Butter six 4-ounce soufflé cups and coat with sugar; set aside.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cocoa to the butter and beat with a whisk to a smooth, paste-like consistency. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the hot milk, whisking until smooth, then blend in the melted chocolate. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then stir in the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until frothy. Slowly add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir a heaping spoonful of egg whites into the chocolate, then fold in the remaining whites just until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared soufflé cups. Place the cups in a large baking dish and add enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the soufflé cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately, with warm Vanilla Sauce.
For Vanilla Sauce
- Bring cream and vanilla bean to a low boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine sugar and egg yolks.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of boiling cream to the egg mixture and stir well, then pour back into the remaining cream and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this Chocolate Soufflé recipe a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.