Recipe: Make magical Mickey Mouse-shaped beignets at home
If you’re missing the Disney Parks, re-create this fan-favorite fluffy fried snack from both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts – Mickey Mouse-shaped beignets!
These beignets are a staple of New Orleans Square at Disneyland and Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter at Walt Disney World, and now you can have them in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Check out the recipe below:
Mickey Mouse-shaped Beignets
Makes 10 large Mickey Mouse-shaped beignets or 2 dozen small beignets
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1/4 cup of warm water (105°)
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter (optional)
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture.
- With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter, or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares.
- Cover the dough with a towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Using caution, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side.
- Remove the beignets with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
- Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this recipe for Mickey Mouse-shaped beignets a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.