Six Flags has announced what they’ll be adding to their theme parks across North America in 2016. The lineup includes high-thrill coasters, interactive rides, expanded family offerings, new twists on iconic favorites, and Northern California’s first-ever hybrid roller coaster.
“For five years we have maintained our strategy of introducing something new at every park, every year, delighting our guests with differentiated new attractions and experiences,: said Jim Reid-Anderson, Six Flags chairman, president and CEO.
The following additions will be coming to a Six Flags park near you in 2016:
• Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will open The Joker. The villainous character’s personality is evident in this hybrid coaster’s chaotic twists and turns throughout its 3,200 feet of dual-colored track. With a first ever “step-up under-flip inverted roll” that takes riders horizontal, The Joker ride will also feature the ultimate “fake-out” with a unique breaking wave turn, the only one of its kind on the west coast. Riders will experience a wild Zero G barrel roll plus 15 airtime moments at maximum speeds of 53 mph.
• Six Flags Great Adventure will debut its 14th coaster and the most unique scream machine in its history — Total Mayhem. After being lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill, this 4-D, free-fly coaster will wreak havoc as riders flip head-over-heels at least six times along the weightless journey. Thrill seekers will experience leaps and dives along a horizontal plane, along with unexpected drops as they tumble from one level to the next. The wing seats amp up the pandemonium since riders will experience all of this chaos with no track above or below — just the sky, ground and adjacent lake churning around them.
The sister ride introduced at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in 2015 was named among the Top 10 most anticipated new roller coasters by USA Today and Fox News. Get a look at that below:
• Both Six Flags Great America and Six Flags Mexico, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, will bring the next generation of interactive thrills to their parks with the debut of Justice League: Battle for Metropolis. This immersive, 4D virtual reality-like ride was named by USA Today readers as one of the Top Ten New Amusement Park Attractions in 2015. Guests become members of the Justice League Reserve Team and engage in a full-sensory journey as they battle alongside Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern against Lex Luthor, The Joker and his henchmen. Traveling in six-passenger vehicles, riders must outsmart the villains to save the city of Metropolis.
Take a ride on Justice League: Battle for Metropolis at Six Flags Over Texas:
• Six Flags Magic Mountain will commemorate its 45th operating season and the 40th anniversary of the world’s first 360-degree looping coaster. The New Revolution will feature newly-created special ride effects, a new look, and newly designed trains that will deliver a smoother, sleeker ride experience for guests.
• Six Flags Over Texas has plans for an expansion to the Gotham City section of the park that will include three new rides. The area will become the ultimate battle of Batman versus villains with the opening of The Riddler Revenge — a new twist on thrills with guaranteed high-flying fun; Catwoman Whip — a sinister spin and tilt ride that is much like its namesake; and Harley Quinn Spinsanity — a devious take on a classic spinning ride.
• Thrilling family fun is in the works as Six Flags Over Georgia introduces the world’s first DC Super Friends themed area and the all-new Bugs Bunny Boomtown. The two newly-themed children’s areas will feature 12 rides and attractions that families can experience together. This latest expansion is part of a multi-year plan to provide thrills for guests of all ages at the park and includes the addition of Hurricane Harbor in 2014, two new devious rides in Gotham City in 2015 and other exciting additions planned for the future.
• It is off to the races to see who is the fastest in the family, as Six Flags White Water adds the new 60-foot tall Wahoo Racer water slide. The multi-lane mat racing slide complex is the largest slide of its kind in the world. Riders will experience the thrill of racing against their friends and family members reaching speeds of up to 40 feet per second on six aero-dynamic designed water toboggans.
• The Great Escape is introducing the hair-raising Greezed Lightnin’ in 2016. The all-new super looping thrill ride will rocket guests 360 degrees, reach exhilarating speeds and leave them hanging, waiting for more. Thrill seekers will be hurled a series of seven full inversions, both frontward and backward, experiencing hang time at over 70 feet in the air. The new attraction will be located in one of the most historic and visible sections of the park, and its lights and flames will transport guests back in time with its 1950s theme and hot rod inspiration.
• Six Flags America is adding Splashwater Falls — a giant interactive water playground that features dozens of slides, nets, sprays, geysers and thrills for the entire family to enjoy. To top off the fun, a super-sized tipping bucket atop the huge play structure will dump gallons of water on guests throughout the day. While the kids are splashing away, parents can relax on the deck area complete with new lounge chairs and umbrellas.
• La Ronde in Montreal is set to bring guests exciting new adventures as it flips the trains on the iconic Vampire coaster to run backward, and adds two rides in an all-new section of the park: Avenue Aventure: Phoenix — a flying scooter ride that puts guests in control as they soar against the wind; and Gravitor — a fun adventure that lifts guests high above the ground as they turn around and around in an ocean of lights and sounds for a dance party in the sky!
• Six Flags St. Louis and Six Flags New England are heating things up next season with the new seven-story tall Fireball looping thrill ride. Fireball features a single loop allowing guests to soar back and forth, pendulum style, as they build up speed to propel them head over heels. Traveling back to back in unique “face-off” seating, guests will rocket through a series of 360° revolutions stopping upside down for inverted hang time before reversing directions.
• Six Flags Fiesta Texas is bringing three new thrill rides to the park along with an all-new boardwalk area. In addition to the looping excitement of Fireball, two other rides will round out the park’s new Fiesta Bay Boardwalk. On Hurricane Force 5, riders take on the power of a storm and swirl round-and-round while soaring high into the air; and Spinsanity will offer whirling adventures for thrill-seekers.
• Six Flags New England is thrilled to relaunch its iconic steel coaster Bizarro as Superman the Ride featuring superhero music and theming throughout. Riders will feel like Superman as they climb more than 20 stories in the air and race down like a speeding bullet at 77 miles per hour. Guests will also experience twists, turns and weightlessness along the coaster’s one mile of track.
For more information about upcoming 2016 Six Flags rides and attractions, visit SixFlags.com/2016news.