“A Florida Nature and Heritage Retreat for Writers and Photographers” will be held on Nov. 7 and 8, 2014 at Forever Florida.
The event is part of Patrick Smith Day 2014, which is in honor of Patrick Smith who passed away on Jan. 26, 2014. A three-time Pulitzer Award winner, Smith was a celebrated storyteller, author and historian who was also recognized as the Greatest Living Floridian by the Florida Historical Society. His book, “A Land Remembered”, was voted Best Florida Book by “Florida Monthly Magazine”.
General admission to this event is free and open to all enthusiasts of Florida’s nature and heritage. The Saturday event features a Writing and Photography Marketplace with a variety of vendors. Additional activities and presentations include:
• “Bring Your Own Horse Trail Ride” – a three hour ride through Forever Florida’s swamps, sleuths and creeks. Cost is $75 person.
• “A Land Remembered” Wild Coach Tour. Cost is $32 per person
• “Remembering Patrick Smith” Lecture & BBQ is $18. The lecturers are:
– Dr. Nick Wynne, Author, Past President of Florida Historical Society
– Judge Nelson “Storyteller” Bailey, retired Circuit Judge West Palm Beach County
– Warren Resen, Freelance writer
– Rick Smith, Patrick Smith Jr.
• “Re-purposing the Florida Cracker Horse” by Dr. Sandra Wise
• “Marjorie Harris Carr Defender of Florida’s Environment” by Peggy McDonale
• “Digital Publishing Changes the World” by Capt. Rodney Smith
• “The Cracker Tenor” reception and performance by Ben DeHart
Forever Florida is located in St. Cloud. Parking is $5. Details about the event as well as purchasing event activities are available online at ForeverFlorida.com/promotions or by calling 407-957-9794. All proceeds benefit the Allen Broussard Conservancy.