Walmart to offer drive-in theater experience in its parking lots
Grab your popcorn, because Walmart is offering a new drive-in experience at 160 stores across the country in partnership with the Tribeca Film Festival.
Available for free to Walmart customers, the Walmart Drive-in will transform the stores’ parking lots into outdoor cinemas from Aug. 14 – Oct. 21 with 320 showings of hit movies.
Those interested in checking out this offering can visit TheWalmartDriveIn.com to find dates, store locations, and the movies that will be shown during each tour stop.
“We recognize the challenges our customers and their families have faced over the last few months and we wanted to create an experience where they could come together safely to create new memories,” said Janey Whiteside, chief customer officer for Walmart. “The Walmart Drive-in is one small way we’re supporting the communities we serve.”
The Walmart Drive-in promises a “fun, contact-free experience” where families can watch films curated by the Tribeca Film Festival. Some of the movies that will be offered include:
- Sports stories like “Friday Night Lights,” “The Karate Kid,” and “Space Jam”
- Blockbuster franchises like “Black Panther,” “Pokémon Detective Pikachu,” “The Lego Batman Movie,” “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” “Spy Kids,” “Teen Titans GO! To The Movies,” and “Wonder Woman”
- Out-of-this-world stories like “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,” “Ghostbusters,” and “Men in Black: International”
- Nostalgic titles like “Back to the Future,” “Beetlejuice,” “The Goonies,” and “The Wizard of Oz”
- Inspiring true stories from “Dolphin Tale” to “Selena”
- Animated features like “Cars,” “The Iron Giant,” “The Lego Movie,” and “Madagascar”
- Before each feature presentation audiences will see one of many short films, including “Bilby,” “Bird Karma,” “Brooklyn Breeze,” “CROW: The Legend,” “Fire In Cardboard City,” “INVASION!,” “Looney Tunes’ Boo! Appetweet,” and “Marooned”
Drew Barrymore will serve as the virtual host for all events, and will also make a surprise in-person appearance at one location. Families will also get surprise virtual or in-person appearances from Peter Berg, Jennifer Garner, LeBron James, and Chrissy Metz at select locations.
For a complete movie-going experience, families can stock up on their favorite theater snacks to bring along with them through Walmart’s pickup or delivery services.
To reserve a space for the Walmart Drive-in, guests can visit TheWalmartDriveIn.com. Once confirmed, guests will receive an email with a QR code that will grant their vehicle entry on the day of the event.
Something new that”s for sure