World Roller Coaster Appreciation Month was the ideal time for North American thrill seekers to join together in the world’s largest simultaneous roller coaster ride, headed by American Coaster Enthusiasts.
Today, June 16, 2022, at 2 p.m. EDT, roller coaster enthusiasts celebrated the June 16, 1884 opening of La Marcus Thompson’s Switchback Railway gravity-powered out-and-back ride at Coney Island. The ride was based on mining railways, and is considered the first roller coaster ever to debut in America.
At the 2 p.m. mark today, 24 amusement parks across the nation launched coasters filled with American Coaster Enthusiast (ACE) club members and park guests to commemorate the first modern coaster and celebrate the engineering, architecture, history, entertainment, and marvel of these thrill rides.
Parks and coasters that took part in the simultaneous ride include:
- Alabama Adventure and Splash Adventure on coasters Rampage and Centispeed
- Deno’s Wonderwheel on coaster Phoenix
- Frontier City
- The Funplex Mount Laurel
- The Funplex Myrtle Beach on coaster Fun In The Sun
- Fun Spot Orlando on coasters Freedom Flyer, White Lightning, and Sea Serpent
- Fun Spot Kissimmee on coasters Galaxy Spin, Hurricane, and Mine Blower
- Fun Spot Atlanta on coaster Scream’n Eagle
- Knoebels Amusement Park on coaster Phoenix
- Lake Compounce on coaster Boulder Dash
- Lakemont Park on coasters Skyliner and Leap The Dips
- Legoland New York
- Six Flags America
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Six Flags Great America
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Six Flags Mexico
- Six Flags New England
- Six Flags Over Georgia
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- Six Flags Over Texas
“We’re happy to participate in such a fun way, to celebrate an important part of Knoebels,” said Dick Knoebel, Knoebel’s president and co-owner. “Thanks to ACE for organizing this, and to our guests who make memories with us by way of our roller coasters. It brings us joy to see our guests enjoying the thrill!”
Elizabeth Ringas, ACE’s communications director, commented, “Roller coasters fill us with fears, thrills, laughter, and screams, but most importantly, they offer us the opportunity to make unforgettable memories with family and friends. ACE is proud to take this moment to celebrate this anniversary with parks across North America during World Roller Coaster Appreciation Month.”
More activities taking place during World Roller Coaster Appreciation Month can be found at the ACE website, WorldRollerCoasterMonth.com.