A new competition comes to Food Network, titled “Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark,” which will pit skilled pastry chefs against each other in a battle to create show-stopping chocolate works of art.
Hershey, Pa. is the star of the show in this four-episode Food Network series that debuts on Sept. 27 at 10 p.m. as part of the network’s Halloween lineup.
But the excitement doesn’t end there. Chocolate lovers can live out their “sweet” dreams when they visit Hersheypark during the Halloween season, enjoying unique twists on iconic Hershey treats that are inspired by the show.
Suzanne Jones, vice president, The Hershey Experience, said, “Showcasing the best of what Hershey, Pa. has to offer — from Hershey’s Chocolate World to Hersheypark — on Food Networks has been a unique, special experience that only Hershey can provide. The most exciting part is that people can actually experience their favorite parts of the show in real life, right here in Hershey, Pa.”
“Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark” features pastry chefs going head-to-head to create spectacular sculptures using Hershey’s chocolate, and candies such as Reese’s Pieces and Twizzlers Twists.
Creating world-class works of art takes place in Chocolate World, Hershey’s largest candy store, after park close, but chefs will also get to ride Hersheypark’s famous roller coasters and compete in various challenges in the park.
The competition is hosted by Sunny Anderson, who also hosts the Food Network show, “The Kitchen.”
“‘Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark’ combines two of my all-time passions: going to amusement parks and creating art with food,” Anderson said. “I cannot wait to share these amazing chocolate displays with viewers, featuring some of the most talented pastry chefs on the planet.”
The competition is a race against the clock, and when each episode’s time runs out the judges, cake sculptor Ralph Attanasia and celebrity chef Maneet Chauhan, will crown the champion.
But the chefs aren’t the only ones who can enjoy the fun. Guests can experience several seasonal Halloween “treats” during their visit to Hershey:
- Chocolate Meltdown: Visit Hershey’s Chocolate World attraction for a complimentary S’More and a cup of melted hot chocolate, each inspired by experiences from the show. Samples will be available for a limited time, starting Sept. 24.
- “Live on Set!” Chocolate Meltdown: Take part in this Hershey’s After Dark photo opportunity in Chocolate World, and snap you photo behind an exact replica of the show’s set.
- Hersheypark In the Dark: Enjoy the park’s world-class coasters, new additions, and family-friendly rides as a special “in the dark” Halloween experience, each weekend from Oct. 15-31.
- Trick or Treat in Hershey: Take the Trick or Treat Trail from Hershey’s Chocolate World to The Boardwalk at Hersheypark, stopping at 13 treat locations. Children ages 12 and under can participate, and costumes are welcome.
- Reese’s Candy Converter: Have Halloween candy you hate? Back by popular demand after its debut in 2018, Reese’s Candy Converter lets you bring your unwanted candy to Hershey’s Chocolate World any weekend from Oct. 15-31, and “convert” (exchange) it for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
Jones summed it up, saying, “Join us to have your own ‘chocolate meltdown.’ Ride the rides after dark, trick or treat, and most importantly, enjoy your favorite Halloween treats right where they originated.”
Bring the fun home by stocking up on Halloween-inspired treats such as Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkin Snack Size, Reese’s Franken-Cup Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat Witch’s Brew, Hershey’s Kisses Vampire Chocolates, and Hershey’s Cookies ‘N’ Cream Fangs to enjoy while watching the “Chocolate Meltdown” competition.
“Teaming up with Food Network to bring ‘Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark’ to life in The Sweetest Place on Earth was an absolute treat,” said Hersheypark’s General Manager, Vikki Hultquist. “We love that the show will showcase amazing chocolate creations and the unbelievable ‘only in Hershey’ rides and experiences awaiting all those who visit Hershey, Pa, where fun meets chocolate!”