D23 Expo Design Challenge to honor 50th anniversary of Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion
D23 is now taking submissions for this year’s D23 Expo Design Challenge and Mousequerade cosplay contest, which will be held at this year’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif.
The 2019 D23 Expo Design Challenge will honor The Haunted Mansion, as Disneyland’s version of the attraction is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Participants are asked to craft works of art inspired by The Haunted Mansion and Haunted Mansion-like attractions around the world, which includes Mystic Manor and Phantom Manor.
The deadline to submit is March 29, 2019. Twenty-three finalists will be notified on April 19, and their work will be displayed during the 2019 Expo from Aug. 23-25. Those interested in taking part must complete the entry form and submit three to five photos (and video if you wish) of the completed work by the submission deadline. Contestants don’t have to be members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club to enter.
The Grand Prize winner will receive a prize of $2,300, as well as a trophy. The second runner-up and third runner-up will also receive a trophy.
For D23 guests looking to show off their best Disney cosplays, the Mousequerade is the perfect opportunity! Fans are invited to take part in this competition to show off their own Disney-inspired costumes for a panel of expert judges.
Hopefuls can submit their entry forms and one to three sketches or photos of their costume design now through March 15, and 14 finalists in each of the five categories will be notified on April 5. This year’s categories are:
- Once Upon a Costume
- Let tales of make-believe and fantasy inspire you to magically transform into a beloved Disney character. Costumes may include animated or live-action characters.
- Worlds of Adventure
- From swashbucklers on the high seas to royalty from a galaxy far, far away, these costumes will capture the adventurous Disney spirit.
- Heroes & Villains
- Bring the forces of “Good vs. Evil,” “Dark Side vs. Light Side,” and Super Hero vs. Super Villain” to life in this category. Solo or Team (two members total) entries are welcome.
- Inspired by Disney
- Use your imagination to bring a Disney-inspired creation to life! Costumes can be inspired by attractions, animation, theme parks, cruise lines, architecture, television, and beyond!
- Casts of Characters
- Friends and families can come together to create their favorite cast of Disney characters. Duo entries and group entries (up to eight total members) can participate.
Finalists in the Mousequerade will receive complimentary one-day tickets to D23 Expo 2019 on Friday, Aug. 23, 2019. The winner of each category will receive a trophy, and the Best in Show winner will receive a prize of $2,300.
To learn more about these contests, and to enter either the Design Challenge or Mousequerade for yourself, visit D23.com.