A new theme park experience unlike any other, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, is set to open on Dec. 5 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This new attraction will set the stage for the future of theme parks, as guests are immersed in a climactic battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
Here are 20 facts you may not have known about this upcoming attraction:
1. According to Disney, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is “one of the longest Disney attraction experiences ever.”
2. This attraction is set shortly after the Battle of Crait from “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in the official canon timeline.
3. In the ride’s preshow, guests will see Rey appear via holo-transmission alongside BB-8 as they are welcomed into the Resistance as recruits.
4. When you board a nearby Intersystem Transport Ship (I-TS), you’ll feel as though you’re lifting off Batuu and blasting into space.
5. Poe Dameron will be your escort on this mission, flying in his signature black X-wing starfighter, Black One.
6. Poe’s X-wing is just one of many vehicles from the Star Wars universe that appear in the attraction.
7. The attraction will feature massive set pieces, including a hangar bay filled with 50 stormtroopers and a docked TIE fighter.
8. At one point in the attraction, guests will dodge blaster bolts from stormtroopers and giant AT-AT walkers.
9. Throughout your escape, Kylo Ren will use the Force to attempt to pry information from your mind about the location of General Organa’s secret base.
10. Disney has said that guests will “feel” Kylo’s power as he hunts you down for information. How, you ask? You’ll just have to wait and see.
11. Actors from the sequel trilogy will reprise their roles in new scenes for the attraction, including Daisy Ridley (Rey), Adam Driver (Kylo Ren), John Boyega (Finn), Oscar Issac (Poe Dameron), and Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux).
12. Many of the actors’ scenes for this ride were filmed at the same time as “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.”
13. This attraction will include a new character, Lieutenant Bek, a Mon Calamari communications officer for the Resistance who will guide recruits on their journey.
14. Disney cast members will become members of the First Order or Resistance throughout the attraction to further immerse guests in the experience.
15. Disney’s A-1000 Audio-Animatronics will appear throughout the attraction, featuring dynamic and lifelike movements.
16. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will combine multiple ride systems to tell this new story to guests. In one sequence, a simulator will give guests the feeling of falling from space and crash-landing on Batuu.
17. The trackless ride vehicles in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, called First Order Fleet Transports, are some of the most advanced ever used on a Disney attraction. The vehicles have a sleek look and low profile, and are able to move in all directions.
18. Guests can take home their own miniaturized version of the First Order Short-Range Evacuation Vehicle, another ride system featured on the attraction, thanks to a new playset that will be offered at First Order Cargo. The toy features details, lights, and sounds from the attraction, bringing it to life.
19. To fully realize this unique story, Imagineers created thousands of special effects, including slashing lightsabers, blaster bolts, exploding walls, and massive star fields.
20. Disney has said that Rise of the Resistance “throws out the rulebook for traditional attraction design,” blending together the “‘queue,’ ‘preshow,’ and ‘ride'” into one seamless experience.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on Dec. 5 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Jan. 17 at Disneyland park. You can check out a teaser video featuring footage inside the attraction below: