The Florida Department of Health has created a resource to help Floridians eat smarter and move more, even on vacation.
Through the Ticket to Health project, the department’s Healthiest Weight Florida initiative is highlighting healthy choices in theme parks and zoos throughout the state on their website and with a downloadable brochure.
“Summer is the perfect time for Floridians and visitors to get outdoors and explore Florida’s many attractions,” said State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong. “Programs like Ticket to Health help make healthy choices the easier choices.”
Ticket to Health recognizes the theme parks and zoos that help visitors eat smarter and be more active. Many parks offer salads and grilled options, as well as items suitable for kosher, vegetarian or gluten-free diets. More than half of the participating attractions also offer opportunities for physical activity. Good nutrition combined with regular physical activity can help you achieve and maintain your healthy weight, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and promote your overall health.
“Legoland is actively working to provide healthy options for our visitors,” said Brittany Williams, Legoland Florida Resort public relations representative. “In the park, children can enjoy any children’s menu item with a side of fruit, with either milk or water to drink—sodas are not offered at all. Market Restaurant has soup and salad options, and offers red potato wedges, rice or noodles in place of fries. By offering these healthy alternatives, we hope to add to guests’ overall experience.”
Florida theme parks and zoos with healthy options highlighted by Ticket to Health include:
• Brevard Zoo — Melbourne
• Dinosaur World — Plant City
• Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge Zoological Park — Crestview
• Gatorland — Orlando
• Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park — Ft. Walton Beach
• Legoland Florida — Winter Haven
• Lion Country Safari — Loxahatchee
• Marine Land — St. Augustine
• Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament Kissimmee Castle — Kissimmee
• Miracle Strip Amusement Park — Panama City Beach
• Old Town — Kissimmee
• Palm Beach Zoo — West Palm Beach
• SAM’s Fun City — Pensacola
• Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo — Gainesville
• Aquatica, SeaWorld’s Waterpark — Orlando
• Wild Florida Airboat Tours & Wildlife Park — Kenansville
For more information on the attractions and their specific offerings, visit HealthiestWeightFL.com/Ticket.