With the heat of summer in full effect around Central Florida, Disney is ready to get Frozen with a special summer-long event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
From July 5 to Sept. 1, 2014, “Frozen Summer Fun Live” will bring to life the world of royal sisters Anna and Elsa and their fairy tale kingdom of Arendelle. Most activities are included in theme park admission.
Special experiences will immerse guests in lots of Frozen fun. Here are some highlights:
• Anna’s & Elsa’s Royal Welcome: Each day at 11 a.m., Anna and Elsa will travel in a royal procession down Hollywood Boulevard riding in a horse-drawn sleigh. Kristoff is along for the fun joined by a flurry of skaters, skiers and ice cutters, all dressed in their Arendelle best. The procession ends with a special moment on the Sorcerer’s Hat stage.
• For The First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration: Inside the Premiere Theater, Princess Anna and Queen Elsa join the Royal Historians of Arendelle for a retelling of the history of their kingdom amidst projections, lighting and special effects. Guests will be invited to join in special sing-along moments from the film’s soundtrack. At the end of the performance, guests might find themselves becoming “Honorary Citizens of Arendelle.” The 20-minute show will be presented daily at 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland: There’s a “big summer blowout” happening inside Soundstage One, where Oaken and his cousins have created the “Frozen Funland” amidst a winter wonderland. There will be plenty of frozen festivities inside the makeshift adventure park Oaken and his cousins built to make the most of the sudden snowstorm.
There will be an ice skating rink with demonstrations by some of Oaken’s cousins on the Arendelle ice. In addition, icy artisans will put their talents on display, creating carvings of favorite “Frozen” characters from giant frozen blocks. Guests can take part in skating sessions on the ice at a price of $10 for 30 minutes, which includes the use of ice skates, socks and a helmet. Sessions are available on a first come, first serve basis and guests can bring their own equipment.
Kids can enjoy frozen wintertime activities in the “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” area. For all of his Frozen Funland friends, Oaken has plenty of merchandise at his Trading Post, along with hot cocoa and sweet treats available for purchase.
Guests can also take pictures with the film’s animated characters in a virtual setting, and then e-mail them or share on their social media channels. When guests want to escape the icy atmosphere of Oaken’s outpost, all they have to do is look for the door marked “Sauna,” where they will exit to the warm Florida sun.
• Coolest Summer Ever Dance Party: From 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. each evening, a DJ and live band will take the stage to celebrate the Frozen summer fun with contemporary songs and a few familiar tunes from the film.
• Take-Along Olaf: As a special feature before a fireworks show, guests will have a chance to be a part of a pre-show celebration by hashtagging photos of themselves in the park with a “Take-Along Olaf.” Throughout the day, Take-Along Olafs will be distributed at various locations in the park. Guests are then invited to take Olaf along with them on their day in the park. By sharing their photos with the hashtag #OlafSummerVacation, their photos may appear on the big screen in this special pre-show feature.
• Frozen Fireworks: At 9:45 p.m. each evening, the giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat on Hollywood Boulevard gets the full Frozen treatment with special projections of snow and ice images, in a spectacular above Hollywood Blvd. Set to the film’s soundtrack, the fireworks show will feature some special guests, including an appearance from Elsa in which she will show how her powers flurry “through the air and to the ground” to produce magically icy blue and white gleaming fireworks.
Most of the activities are included with park admission.
UPDATE – June 28, 2014: Thanks to Shawn Slater of the Disney Parks Blog, we have these updates for you:
• None of the characters will be meeting guests at Hollywood Studios. Guests will still be able to meet Anna and Elsa in Princess fairytale Hall at the Magic Kingdom daily.
• Guests can rent ice skates and go skating themselves on the frozen pond at Wandering Oaken’s Frozen Funland.
• FastPass+ will not be available for any of the Frozen events at Hollywood Studios.
• The Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will be held daily at 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• The Frozen Fireworks time will change to 9:15 p.m. from Aug. 17 to Sept. 1. The show will not happen on Aug. 23 because of the Villains Unleashed special-ticket event at the park.
• Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post and Frozen Funland will be open from park opening to 8 p.m. It will not be open during Extra Magic Hours.
Here’s our Frozen video playlist: