If you’re missing the flavors of Epcot’s World Showcase while Walt Disney World is temporarily closed, you’re in luck! Here’s how you can make Via Napoli pizza at home.
Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria offers Walt Disney World guests a culinary tour of Southern Italy at Epcot’s Italy pavilion. In the main room, guests dine with an open view to the onstage kitchen, where Naples-inspired pizzas are made with flour imported from Southern Italy and cooked in wood-burning ovens.
Each oven is named for Italy’s three active volcanos, featuring faces sculpted to reflect mythological Italian gods.
This recipe will create two 8.5 oz balls of dough that will make two 12-inch pizza crusts. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 cups of flour (“00” or King Arthur bread flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of yeast (fresh brewer’s yeast or dry active yeast)
- 1 1/4 cup of room temperature water
To make the pizza dough:
- Add the yeast to the water and mix.
- Add the salt to the flour and stir.
- Transfer the water and yeast mixture to a mixing bowl, then add the flour and salt to the bowl. Mix with your hands until it starts to come together.
- Once the dough starts to come together, transfer to a floured work surface and knead with your hands for about 5 minutes until it starts to become elastic.
- Divide the dough in half, form each half into a ball, dust with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours and then refrigerate overnight.
To make the pizza:
- Take the two dough balls and let them stand until they get to room temperature (about 20 minutes). At the same time, place a pizza stone into an oven and preheat to 500 degrees.
- Transfer the dough balls to a large floured work surface.
- Stretch the dough from the middle to the edges until you get a 12-inch pizza crust. Repeat for the second pizza.
- Place one of the crusts onto a lightly floured pizza peel and add your favorite pizza sauce, mozzarella, and toppings.
- When ready, carefully slide the pizza off the peel and onto the pizza stone, quickly closing the oven door (to reserve the heat).
- Bake the pizza until the bottom has a golden brown color and the cheese is melted but not scorched (about 8-10 minutes, depending on your oven).
- Remove the pizza and let it cool slightly (just a minute or two) so the cheese and toppings set. Use a pizza wheel or a very sharp chef’s knife to cut and enjoy!
To learn more about Via Napoli and find out how you can make a reservation once Walt Disney World reopens, visit DisneyWorld.com.