Netflix and Dr. Seuss Enterprises have announced favorite stories and characters from the whimsical world of Dr. Seuss are coming to life on the streaming service in five new animated preschool series and specials.
The new projects inspired by “Horton Hears a Who!,” “The Sneetches,” “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish,” and “Wacky Wednesday” – as well as the character Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose – will anchor Netflix’s expanded preschool content and explore themes of diversity and respect through engaging stories and the distinctive visuals of Dr. Seuss. All five will be helmed by Executive Producer Dustin Ferrer (“Esme & Roy,” “Shimmer & Shine,” “Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood”).
“Netflix is a trusted home for characters kids love, and generations of kids love the characters imagined by Dr. Seuss,” said Netflix Director of Preschool Content Heather Tilert. “These beloved stories have been a core part of families’ libraries for many years, and it gives me great pride that we are bringing them to our catalog of Netflix shows in a fresh and modern way that resonates with audiences today.”
The five Dr. Seuss projects for Netflix are:
- “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish” – This 2D animated series comprises seven-minute episodes and two-minute music videos following the adventures of two fish (who are different in every way). The pair find themselves in comedic situations that allow them to introduce oppositional vocabulary to preschool viewers.
- “Horton Hears a Who!” – This 3D-animated series comprises 11-minute episodes that follow a young Horton and his two best friends who go on adventures in the Jungle of Nool while helping their community and learning how to stand up for what’s fair.
- “The Sneetches” – This 45-minute 3D-animated special looks at what happens when two young Sneetches – one from the Star-Bellies and one from the Moon-Bellies – form an unlikely friendship and teach their communities that differences can be celebrated instead of avoided.
- “Wacky Wednesday” – A Mixed media animated series comprised of 11-minute episodes that take place in an otherwise ordinary town that gets a little wacky whenever Wednesday rolls around. Luckily, a 10-year-old Wacky Expert knows that humor inspires creativity and solves every wacky problem with an equally-wacky solution.
- “Thidwick The Big-Hearted Moose” – The 3D-animated 45-minute special tells what happens when a grumpy moose leader decides he wants to be the happiest moose in the pack, and enlists Thidwick to help. During their adventure, Thidwick discovers the key to happiness is being kind to others.
This announcement further expands the partnership between Netflix and Dr. Seuss Enterprises, following the launch of the critically-acclaimed animated series “Green Eggs and Ham” in 2019, which will premiere its second season on April 8, 2022.
“Dr. Seuss Enterprises is proud of the collaborative relationship we share with Netflix,” said Dr. Seuss Enterprises President and CEO Susan Brandt. “We are always looking for new and engaging ways to share our stories, characters, and messages with the next generation of fans, and Netflix has a unique ability to create original, delightful adaptations of our timeless classics with an emphasis on imagination, fun, and education. Our partnership has been very prosperous thus far with our award-winning animated series ‘Green Eggs and Ham.’ We hope to continue that success with our upcoming projects.”
Click here for more information about Dr. Seuss Enterprises.