The largest expansion in Magic Kingdom’s history, New Fantasyland, is officially open. After five years of development and construction, the expansion adds a new dark ride, restaurant, tavern and unique meet and greet experiences.
Early this morning was a two-part opening celebration. It started off with Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, who was joined by Once Upon a Time actress Ginnifer Goodwin and “American Idol” Jordin Sparks for a media-only ribbon cutting outside of Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland:
Next, a grand opening ceremony took place on Cinderella Castle stage featuring Jordin Sparks singing a medley of Disney songs that related to the films represented in New Fantasyland and nearby Storybook Circus:
At a media celebration last night, Disney showed off the dragon that everyone has been talking about. Check out its public debut here:
New Fantasyland includes:
• Under the Sea- Journey of The Little Mermaid, a slow moving dark ride featuring the Little Mermaid herself, complete with characters and songs from the Academy Award-winning Disney animated motion picture. Click here to read more.
• Be Our Guest Restaurant, where guests can now dine one of three magical rooms that bring the “Beauty and the Beast” story to life. Click here to read more.
• Enchanted Tales with Belle, where guests can now meet and greet with Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” in a state-of-the-art meet and greet featuring a retelling of the famous “tale as old as time.” Click here for more info.
• Ariel’s Grotto, where guests can go under the sea and meet and greet with everyones favorite mermaid, Ariel. Click here to read more.
• Barnstormer- Featuring the Great Goofini, a re-themed barnstormer ride based around a stunt-man Goofy. Click here to read more.
• Casey Jr. Splash N’ Soak Station, a new water play area for the little ones themed to everyones favorite train. Click here to read more.
• Dueling Dumbos- a new Dumbo attraction featuring two spinners, an interactive queue and more. Click here to read more.
• Pete’s Silly Sideshow, a new meet and greet with Minnie, Daisy, Donald and Goofy in their circus attire.
• Gaston’s Tavern, where guests can eat snacks and the special Le Fou’s brew and more.
Photo Gallery from the grand opening party and celebrations: