Universal not only release the public grand opening date of June 18, 2010 today, they also released new details on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride and the queue for it inside Hogwarts Castle.
Universal says the new Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey will let guests feel things no one has ever felt inside a theme park attraction, move in ways no one has ever moved, experience film like no one else ever has and explore vast sets punctuated by amazing special effects.
As you venture through Hogwarts castle, you’ll meet Harry, Ron and Hermione who convince you to skip a planned lecture and follow them. Upon taking their advice, you travel by Floo powder and begin the adventure as you soar over Hogwarts, narrowly escape a dragon attack, have a close encounter with the Whomping Willow, get pulled into a Quidditch match and feel the chilling effect of a Dementor.
As you walk through Hogwarts to the ride you’ll pass iconic locations taken from the films. Such as:
• Dumbledore’s office: Here, you meet the Headmaster as he welcomes you to Hogwarts.
• Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom: Where you first meet Harry, Ron and Hermione.
• Gryffindor common room: You meet three additional characters who prepare you for your journey
• Room of Requirement: Here, with hundreds of floating candles above, you take your seat on an enchanted bench and begin the Forbidden Journey.
In addition, guests will pass through the Dungeon passageway, the greenhouse and hallways of Hogwarts where they will have the chance to see hundreds of wizard portraits including the Fat Lady and the never-before-seen four founders: Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw. Guests will also get a glimpse of the Sorting Hat, the One-Eyed Witch statue and the Mirror of Erised.
The attraction’s newly created ride system envelops guests in filmed action scenes and moves those scenes with them as they travel through the ride, allowing more time in the center of the adventure and with their favorite characters. The ride offers a 360-degree experience and the first-ever combination of live-action, advanced robotic technology and filmmaking.
“We have created an entirely new way to place our guests into the heart of one of the most compelling stories of our time,” said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. “What we have done will forever change the theme park attraction experience.”
• The full attraction experience, including the queue, takes about an hour.
• There are 12 scenes in the attraction.
• Award-winning composer John Williams oversaw the creation of the attraction’s score.
• Characters in the attractions (featuring Harry Potter film talent): Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Albus Dumbledore, Rubeus Hagrid and Draco Malfoy. You may also catch a glimpse of Fred and George Weasley, Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom.
Just like the Harry Potter films, portraits line the walls of Hogwarts castle, the home of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction. When passing through the portrait gallery, guests will encounter several magical talking portraits created exclusively for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, including the four Hogwarts founders.
While wandering the corridors of Hogwarts castle on their way to experience Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, guests will pass through Dumbledore’s office. The office is an exact replica of the one seen in the Harry Potter films, and is the place where the Hogwarts headmaster officially welcomes you to Hogwarts.