Recipe: Make the Hawaiian Cheeseburger from Tangaroa Terrace for Hamburger Day
To celebrate today being Hamburger Day, Disney has released the recipe for the Hawaiian Cheeseburger & Green Papaya Slaw from Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel!
Check out the Hamburger Day recipe below:
Hawaiian Cheeseburger & Green Papaya Slaw
Serves 6 people
- 2 cups of pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons of mango juice
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of mirin (sweet Asian wine)
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon of sriracha (Asian chili sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
Green Papaya Slaw
- 3/4 pound of green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 pound of jicama, peeled and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally into 1/4-by-1 1/2-inch long pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, with the stems removed and chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 12 pieces of bacon
- 6 fresh pineapple rings
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef, shaped into 6 equal patties
- 6 whole-grain hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 slices of havarti cheese
- 6 pieces of iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices of ripe tomato
For Slaw Dressing
- Place pineapple juice in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Combine pineapple juice reduction, mango juice, oil, lime juice, mirin, vinegar, honey, mustard powder, fish sauce, sesame oil, salt, onion powder, pepper, sriracha, and ground ginger in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
For Green Papaya Slaw
- Combine shredded papaya, shredded jicama, celery, bell pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss with dressing 30 minutes before serving
For Teriyaki Sauce
- Combine brown sugar and soy sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture to soy sauce mixture; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat until crisp. Place on a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Season pineapple on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear pineapple in a grill pan or sauté pan over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Season both sides of beef patties with salt and pepper. Cook in a grill pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat, until cooked through.
- Just before burgers are done, place a piece of cheese on top of each patty and allow it to melt. Add pineapple and bacon on top of the cheese.
- Place lettuce on the bottom halves of the buns and top each with a slice of tomato. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Place cheeseburger on top of the tomato.
- Drizzle with teriyaki sauce and top with the top half of the bun. Serve with the green papaya slaw.
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this Hamburger Day recipe a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.