SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment has launched a celebration across its three SeaWorld parks to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original SeaWorld in March 1964 on Mission Bay in San Diego. SeaWorld Orlando opened nine years later, on Dec. 15, 1973.
SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration features a Sea of Surprises throughout the 18-month event highlighting the most memorable SeaWorld experiences in San Diego, Orlando and San Antonio. Visitors will be invited to take part in the celebration through new interactive experiences, shows and pathway performances, more up-close animal encounters throughout the park and “The SeaWorld Surprise Squad” treating guests with prizes every day.
Here’s the full opening celebration at SeaWorld Orlando, including a live performance of a new song for the 50th:
SeaWorld Orlando’s 50th Celebration Sea of Surprises Highlights
• Park pathways come to life with spontaneous entertainment. “Bubble Blowout” is sure to be a guest favorite with a vehicle creating bubbles of all sizes and shapes throughout Shamu’s Happy Harbor. Performances with sea-inspired costumes and props will pop up at unexpected moments to surprise guests throughout the day, like “Splash Dance,” near Nautilus Theater.
• On June 21, a new nighttime Shamu show, “Shamu’s Celebration: Light Up The Night”, debuts. The high energy show will include new, original music and production elements, as well as new killer whale behaviors.
• The “SeaWorld Surprise Squad” will roam SeaWorld Orlando on a daily basis giving away, at random, prizes and special gifts, including exclusive access to rides, behind-the-scenes experiences, Shamu-themed merchandise, reserved show seating and even trips to other SeaWorld parks.
• SeaWorld guests are often greeted by an animal ambassador, many of whom were orphaned or injured in the wild and given a second chance. As part of SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration, there will be more surprise encounters with animal ambassadors throughout the day.
• Four giant sea life sculptures are on display in the Sea Garden. SeaWorld commissioned environmental art group, The Washed Ashore Project, for a collection of larger-than-life sea-themed sculptures – many weighing more than half a ton. The material used to create these pieces comes from the billions of pounds of garbage – mostly plastics – that wind up in our oceans. These works of art point to the urgent need to protect marine animals from such dangers and preserve their ocean habitats. On display at SeaWorld Orlando are a parrot fish, sea horse, sea anemone reef and octopus.
• Share the wonder of close-up encounters with amazing animal friends and learn how SeaWorld cares for the natural world at the all-new Sea Garden. Completely re-designed, the Sea Garden is where guests can learn more about SeaWorld’s animals, many of them rescued, including eagles, spoonbills, opossums, and more.
• SeaWorld’s 50th will include new ways for fans to connect to the parks and each other though digital devices. The parks will be launching a variety of enhancements, from interactive apps that provide fun new ways to experience the park to new games and video content.
Special ticket offers for SeaWorld Orlando
• Buy one ticket and get 50 percent off another
• $50 Weekday Ticket
• Florida Residents Annual Passes start at $13 per month