Tips for getting engaged at Walt Disney World Resort
This summer, a viral video showed a cast member abruptly interrupting a romantic proposal in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Paris. The couple said a different cast member told them it was okay (and the park offered to make it up to them), but the incident should serve as a reminder to anyone planning on getting engaged at Walt Disney World to know the dos and don’ts.
“Walt Disney World is one of the world’s most popular proposal locations,” said Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings & Honeymoons Marketing Director Korri McFann. “From truly romantic settings to unique and magical experiences and picture-perfect backdrops, there’s so much here to help create the ultimate proposal moment.”
Make it Official
Whether you’re looking to make a grand gesture or create a magical Disney moment, the safest way to guarantee your plans for getting engaged at Walt Disney World go off without a hitch is by going straight to the source: Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings.
These official Disney wedding planners will ensure all your proposal dreams come true – with no chance of accidentally stumbling into the “don’ts” category like that couple in Paris. They can also arrange “Enchanting Extras” like an engagement photo session, specialty dining, flowers, or even a celebratory cake – and can even help you pop the question during a private tour, a horse-drawn carriage ride, a moonlit cruise, or a spectacular fireworks display.
“Some of our favorite romantic experiences that couples can choose from […] include the firework dessert cruise at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort, or a luxurious dining experience at Victoria & Albert’s,” McFann said. And to end the night in the most magical way, couples often take advantage of a sweet surprise back at their resort room with scattered floral petals, champagne, chocolate, and a glass slipper provided through Disney Floral & Gifts.”
Of course, all of these come at a price, but as long as you respect park rules (and other guests), you can still get engaged at Walt Disney World even if your budget doesn’t allow for the professionals.
Although characters are not allowed to be officially involved in proposals – meaning they can’t hand over the ring – they can be nearby to ensure getting engaged at Walt Disney World has some extra pixie dust. The key is asking cast members beforehand to make sure favorite Disney friends can help without interfering with the experience of other park guests.
Proposing with characters present also guarantees a Disney PhotoPass photographer will be on hand to capture the moment (be sure to let them know what’s about to happen, so they don’t miss a second); however, if your proposal plans don’t include characters, you can still enlist a Disney photographer’s help.
“For couples who dream of proposing inside a Disney theme park, we always recommend Capture Your Moment,” McFann said. “Guests can choose a special place like the Wishing Well at Magic Kingdom or in front of the Tree of Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and a Disney Photopass photographer will capture the entire moment.”
Top Spots for Getting Engaged at Walt Disney World
Of course, you can pop the question anywhere, but according to Brides Magazine, these are the most popular places for getting engaged at Walt Disney World.
- Cinderella’s Castle, Magic Kingdom Park – Unsurprisingly, the most popular spot for Walt Disney World proposals is right in front of Magic Kingdom’s iconic castle (often during the evening fireworks).
- The Wishing Well, Magic Kingdom Park – The Wishing Well at Cinderella’s Castle is also a perfect place to propose – and then you can drop a coin in the well and make a wish for your life together.
- Animal Kingdom Park – The walkways surrounding the Tree of Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom offers private spots for the perfect Walt Disney World proposal.
- The U.K. Pavilion Courtyard, Epcot – Another secluded spot for getting engaged at Walt Disney World is the practically perfect English garden in the U.K. Pavilion.
- The France Pavilion Eiffel Tower, Epcot – An Eiffel Tower proposal is magnifique, but an Epcot Eiffel Tower proposal is also magique.
- Mad Tea Party, Magic Kingdom – Take your beloved on a spin around this iconic Disney attraction to celebrate your engagement and your unbirthdays.
- Victoria & Albert’s, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa – There’s no better place for foodies to get engaged than at Victoria and Albert’s restaurant – and if you spring for the Chef’s Table, the meal will be even more magical.
- The Walt Disney World Resort Boardwalk – Getting engaged under the string lights of the Boardwalk is very romantic (and if you time it right, the Epcot fireworks will add extra sparkle to the occasion).
- Walt Disney World Seven Seas Lagoon – The Seven Seas Lagoon offers a spectacular backdrop of the Magic Kingdom fireworks (and is definitely less crowded than in front of the castle).
Fun Fact: According to a study by wedding planning website Hitched, one in every 555 proposals takes place in Magic Kingdom, and one in every 1,428 proposals takes place in Epcot, placing them at #2 and #8 on their list of top 10 landmarks to propose. What’s #1, you may wonder? That’s Disneyland Paris, with one in every 500 proposals.
Click here for more information about Disney Fairy Tale Weddings.