Universal Studios Hollywood has joined its fellow California theme parks in announcing a reopening date — as well as revealing what new offerings guests will get to experience.
The park will officially reopen to the public on Friday, April 16, with a special park preview for Annual and Season Pass Members happening on Thursday, April 15. After opening, Pass Members will be able to take part in “Bonus Days” on select days through Sunday, May 16, which can be reserved online starting on Monday, April 5. Pass Members will be able to resume regular use of their passes starting Monday, May 17.
Most attractions at the park will be operational, though some rides and attractions will reopen at a later date as the theme park complies with current government guidelines. As such, only California residents are able to visit the park at this time, with initial tickets going on sale online starting Thursday, April 8.
“We are incredibly thrilled to finally be able to open Universal Studios Hollywood, return team members to work and welcome guests back to enjoy our amazing rides,” said Karen Irwin, president and COO of Universal Studios Hollywood. “It has been a very challenging year and we are overjoyed to have arrived at this moment.”
As a result of capacity limits, until further notice, guests with unredeemed tickets that were purchased prior to April 8, 2021 will need to make an advance reservation online for their visit dates.
After more than a year of closure, Universal Studios Hollywood will welcome guests back with two exciting new additions: the opening of The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash! and a new Indominus rex animatronic aboard Jurassic World — The Ride.
The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!
This all-new attraction inspired by the Illumination films will answer the question all pet owners have: “What are your pets really doing when you’re not at home?”
The ride features 64 animated figures with projection mapping and other elements to take guests on a journey to meet some of their favorite characters from the films, including Max, Snowball, Gidget, Chloe and Duke, as well as other animal friends.
Jurassic World — The Ride
The reopening of Jurassic World — The Ride will bring guests face-to-face with the all-new Indominus rex animated figure, who will stake her claim at the ride’s finale in an epic battle against the Tyrannosaurus rex.
The fully-articulated figure spans nearly 55 feet horizontally from head to tail and over 22 feet vertically, and features lifelike movements like blinking eyes, flexing arms and claws, and clenching jaw as she bares her teeth and lunges at guests before they descend the waterfall drop to make their escape.
Many favorite attractions and themed areas will be in operation once the park reopens, including:
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Flight of the Hippogriff
- Transformers: The Ride – 3D
- Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride
- Despicable Me’s Super Silly Fun Land
- Springfield, U.S.A.
- The World-Famous Studio Tour
Health and Safety Protocols
The following health and safety protocols will be in place when the park reopens:
- Temperature checks for all guests upon arrival to the park. If temperatures exceed 100.4ºF/38ºC, guests will not be permitted to enter.
- Face coverings required for all guests throughout their visit. Face coverings will also be available for purchase if guests need one.
- Controlled capacity within the theme park, and limited occupancy at all CityWalk venues to help promote physical distancing. Some areas and offerings may remain temporarily closed.
- Rigorous cleaning and disinfecting at all food locations, restrooms, and other high-touch points.
- Eating and drinking permitted only in designated dining areas.
- Contactless payment options available wherever possible.
To learn more about Universal Studios Hollywood’s reopening and to plan your visit, head to UniversalStudiosHollywood.com.