Guests can discover the Bok Tower Gardens by the light of the night sky during the Harmony Dark Sky Festival & Star Party on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018.
This festival is included with general admission to the gardens, and is free to members. Speakers at the festival begin at 4 p.m., and the gates close at 9:30 p.m. that evening.
Highlights of the Dark Sky Festival include nocturnal animal encounters, learning about the night sky with astronomers, a mobile planetarium, Orlando Science Center discovery stations and a special astronomy-inspired carillon concert.
Acclaimed researcher Dr. Richard Stevens will present two talks during the festival, entitled “A Modern Marvel turned Urban Blight – the ‘Wicked Problem’ of Light Pollution.” Dr. Stevens will be part of a line-up of scientists discussing various astronomy topics, including NASA speaker Russell Romanella, and University of Central Florida professor Dr. Joshua Colwell.
Local astronomers will have their telescopes on display for guests to stargaze, and Star Wars-inspired characters from the 501st Legion will be joining in on the fun.
Check out the schedule of events for the festival below:
- Dr. Richard Stevens – “A Modern Marvel turned Urban Blight”: 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Francine Prager – “Bats of the World”: 5 p.m.
- Dr. Joshua Colwell – “The Ringed Planet”: 6 :30 p.m.
- Russell Romanella – “History of Space Exploration”: 8:30 p.m.
- Orlando Science Center – “Digital Planet”: 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Evening Carillon Concert with Geert D’hollander: 8 p.m.
- Continuous Exhibits – Astronomers and telescopes on Great Lawn: 6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Orlando Science Center – Hands On Science: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Mobile Planetarium: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Owl Encounter: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Bat Encounter: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- 501st Legion: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
The Harmony Dark Sky Festival & Star Party seeks to educate guests on the natural importance of darkness, and how controlling light pollution is important for all of Earth’s inhabitants.
For more information on this and other events at Bok Tower Gardens, visit boktowergardens.org.