Disney and Pixar announce packed D23 Expo weekend teasing ‘Elemental,’ ‘Strange World,’ and more new projects
Disney’s blockbuster D23 Expo 2022 is coming in September, and it’s bringing with it a packed weekend of teasing upcoming projects as well as celebrating 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
D23 Expo kicks off on September 9 and runs through September 11 in Anaheim, Calif. Like other fan conventions, the expo will pack the Anaheim Convention Center with sneak peeks at upcoming Disney projects, exhibits and displays, artist alleys with autographs, celebrity guests, filmmaker panels, cosplayers, exclusive merchandise, and more.
Some of the most anticipated first looks coming to D23 are for Disney-Pixar’s “Elemental” and Disney’s “Strange World.” There will also be a sneak peek of “Zootopia+,” a new animated series coming soon to Disney+, behind-the-scenes reveals from “Encanto” creators, an inside look at Pixar’s upcoming “Win or Lose” series, and showcases of historic and rare footage to celebrate Disney Studio’s 100th anniversary.
Here’s a look at what to expect from Disney and Pixar during D23 Expo weekend.
Looking Ahead with the Walt Disney Studios
3:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9
- Disney Animation, Pixar, and Disney Live Action will present a special look at several upcoming projects. Fans will hear from creative leaders, showrunners, and directors about Pixar’s “perspective-shifting, long-form series” “Win or Lose,” get transported to “a city where fire, water, land, and air residents live side by side” with Pixar’s “Elemental,” and hear from “Strange World” director Don Hall about the film’s mysterious, treacherous, and beautiful setting. Disney Animation and partners from the Pan-African comic book company Kugali will also share more details about the upcoming sci-fi series Iwájú.
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.: “Traceback” explores and celebrates the work of women and people of color at the Walt Disney Animation Studios throughout its history.
- 2-3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10: A Century of Storytelling features the Walt Disney Animation Research Library showcasing art and artifacts in its collection, and the people and storytellers behind them.
- 3:30-4:30 p.m.: The team behind “Encanto” will share stories and behind-the-scenes details from the making of the beloved animated musical.
- 6-7 p.m.: A sneak peek at “Zootopia+” with creators from Walt Disney Animation Studios and directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
- 2-3 p.m.: The Walt Disney Animation Research Library presents 100 Years of Treasures with rare and never-before-seen footage, recording sessions, and live-action clips. The library is also expected to present newly-digitized content from the collection and its Oral History Project.
Show Floor experiences
Open 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sept. 9-11
- On the main expo show floor, check out immersive animation experiences highlighting fan-favorite and upcoming projects, photo ops with a six-foot-tall red panda from “Turning Red” and with Buzz Lightyear and Sox from “Lightyear,” and more experiences with creators and filmmakers from Disney and Pixar films. There will also be autograph signings, exclusive art, and giveaways throughout the weekend.
The D23 Expo is an exclusive event for D23 fan club members. All tickets for Friday, Saturday, and the weekend are sold out. There are a limited number of Sunday tickets still available for $89 for Gold Members and $99 for general D23 members.
Find more information about the expo at D23.com.