NBA Experience, the brand-new destination on Disney Springs’ West Side at Walt Disney World Resort, is now officially open.
Editor’s Note: Keep in mind that if you’re visiting NBA Experience today, Aug. 12, it will not open to guests until 5 p.m. ET.
This new destination was created in collaboration with the NBA, and here guests will enter the world of professional basketball and learn what it’s like to be an NBA or WNBA player. The venue offers 13 different basketball-related activities across 44,000 square feet and two floors.
“When we were young, we played basketball in our driveways or in the park, creating those imaginary moments of making the game-winning shot for a championship,” said Stan Dodd, executive producer for Walt Disney Imagineering.
When they enter, guests will feel as though they’re walking through the players’ tunnel at an NBA or WNBA arena. Once inside the venue, guests can experience the following activities:
- Dribble! – Test ball-handling skills with an interactive coach who leads a variety of dribbling routines
- Dunk! – Execute the perfect slam dunk, captured by cameras surrounding height-adjustable baskets
- Slingshot – Use an oversized slingshot to launch balls at hoops of varying heights, making as many baskets as possible before the clock runs out in this timed challenge
- Shoot – Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd while maneuvering through a series of last-second shots before the clock expires
- Combine – Combine wingspan and vertical leap to NBA or WNBA players with this series of tests that replicated NBA Combine drills
- Draft – Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo opportunity that recreates the atmosphere of the Draft stage
- Replay – Sit at an interactive, multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games and use tools at the station to make the right calls
- Players – Enter the locker room and explore current team rosters, records, and highlights
- Champions – Take photos with replicas of the NBA championship and MVP trophies
- “Game Time” – Watch a film about the in-arena game experience and the impact it has on a young woman and her father
- “Together” – Learn the on- and off-court story of an NBA superstar in this 180-degree cinematic presentation
- Arcade – Play interactive games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to the latest NBA video games
- Trivia – Test your knowledge of the NBA and WNBA, past and present, during a multiplayer, real-time contest.
NBA Experience also offers interactive displays, films and trivia to teach guests more about the NBA and WNBA.
A ticket to the new destination will give guests access to every activity, in any order they choose – and they can return to stations to improve their performance or learn more about the game and players they love. Their experiences can also be customized to any NBA or WNBA team they choose.
Next door, the NBA Store offers NBA apparel, collectibles and more, as well as Disney products designed specifically for NBA Experience.
Check out this first look inside the new destination below: