Even though Halloween Horror Nights isn’t happening at Universal Orlando Resort this year, you can still bring some of the spooky tastes home with this recipe for the Fried PB&J with Bananas Sandwich!
Check out the recipe below (including its secret ingredient, funnel cake batter):
Funnel Cake Batter
Makes 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and eggs together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Next, stir the bowl of dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Set aside for later.
Fried PB&J with Bananas Sandwich
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices of thick-cut white bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of grape jelly
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup of funnel cake batter
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- Canola oil (at least 48 ounces)
- Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pot or large fry pan with canola oil until it reaches 350 degrees (use a candy thermometer to check the temperature).
- You can also use a dutch oven or stock pot to fry as well.
- For the canola oil, you’ll want to have around 2 inches or so in order to fully submerge the sandwich.
- If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can tell the oil is ready when it’s shimmering with a whiff of smoke.
- Spread the creamy peanut butter evenly on one slice of bread.
- Spread grape jelly evenly on another slice of bread.
- Slice the banana and place onto the piece of bread with the peanut butter.
- Close the sandwich and submerge it into the bowl of funnel cake batter until it’s completely covered.
- Place the sandwich into the preheated oil, but use a large slotted spoon or tongs to be safe!
- Fry the sandwich until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the sandwich from the oil and place it on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup on top and garnish with powdered sugar.
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this recipe for Fried PB&J with Bananas Sandwich from Halloween Horror Nights a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.