Recipe: Make Disney-inspired Cheeseburger Egg Rolls at home
It’s been more than a month since Disneyland and Walt Disney World closed their gates due to COVID-19. But fans who are missing the parks have found a way to bring a bit of Disney magic into their homes by recreating their favorite Disney foods from sweet treats like churros and Mickey-shaped beignets to Disneyland’s iconic Monte Cristo sandwich.
“Part of the experience [at a Disney park] is that we’re wonderful at storytelling,” says Disneyland Resort Executive Chef John State. “But ultimately, there’s something that has to connect with our guests in their hearts and their minds…that they’ll never forget.”
Anyone who has spent a day in a Disney park knows that food plays a significant part in connecting to our hearts, minds, and of course, our stomachs. Whether they’re a “three full meals” person or an all-day snacker, many park-goers plan their entire experience around what they’re going to eat, and some Disney foods are so craveable, they’re impossible to forget.
Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
Similar to the cheeseburger pods, the cheeseburger spring rolls from the spring roll wagon in Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park — which is a bit of an insider secret in and of itself — delivers all the satisfaction of a cheeseburger in a crispy fried wrapper. What could be bad about that?
“Snacks are a staple of the experience of a day at one of our parks,” says Thomas Smith, editorial Content Director for Disney Parks. “Who doesn’t love adding fun to their day at a Disney park by snacking on their favorite treat as they go?”
Since these two “on-the-go” snacks share the same cheeseburger filling, my son and I decided to make them at the same time. Normally they are made with spring roll wrappers, but we used store-bought egg roll wrappers instead. Keep in mind that spring rolls have thin, often translucent flour wrappers and egg rolls have deeper, fried wrappings that contain egg in the dough.
We also added chopped pickles and mustard to our filling, but for picky eaters (and let’s face it, every family has at least one), those can be eliminated or even swapped out for other favorite burger toppings like ketchup, chopped jalapeños, or even chopped bacon and barbecue sauce.
It’s easy to understand why the cheeseburger spring rolls are a craveable Walt Disney World snack. Even though they weren’t exactly the same, our egg rolls looked and tasted amazing – and although I’m normally not a huge ketchup fan, dipping the egg rolls in ketchup takes them up a notch.
Check out our at-home recipe below:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard (optional)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped pickles (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of refrigerated spring roll/egg roll wrappers
- 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil
Directions for Filling
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium pan. Add onions and sauté until cooked and slightly translucent.
- Add ground beef and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add cheese and mix until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add mustard and pickles (optional).
- Set filling aside to cool.
Directions for Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Place spring roll or egg roll wrapper on a board like a diamond, so that one corner faces you.
- Dip your finger in water and wet the edges of the wrapper.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of cheeseburger filling into the center of each wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner up to cover the filling, fold both sides into the center, and roll tightly towards the top corner until sealed. Repeat for each roll.
- In a large pan, heat 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil to 325-350 degrees.
- Place rolls into the oil seam side down and fry for 2-3 minutes. Turn rolls over and fry for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Healthy Alternative: Fry them in an air fryer and use turkey burger.
Here’s a video of us making them with turkey burger and air frying some of them:
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this Cheeseburger Egg Rolls recipe a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.