The all-new Tenaya Stone Spa at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open to Disneyland Resort hotel guests on Sept. 16, 2021.
According to Dawn Jackson, a Native American cultural advisor within Disney who began working on the project as an Imagineer on the Story Development team, the spa’s name Tenaya (pronounced “ten-eye-a”) can be interpreted “to dream” in the indigenous culture of the Yosemite Valley.
“For modern-day travelers seeking a respite to dream and recharge, the spa provides an opportunity to relax into a dream-like state, a reverie of being lost in one’s thoughts, regaining balance within themselves.”
Designed by Disney Imagineers, the new 6,000-square-foot boutique retreat located near GCH Craftsman Bar & Grill is inspired by the spirit of nature and indigenous cultures of California, with design elements influenced by the Arts & Crafts movement that can be seen throughout the Grand Californian.
“In developing the spa, we aspired to create a fresh take on the principles of the Arts & Crafts movement by honoring nature,” said Walt Disney Imagineering Art Director Katrina Mosher. “We drew inspiration from the foundation of the hotel, literally in the stones, the earth, and the trees, and figuratively in the promise of a place to relax and to dream.”
The spa is laid out according to the four directions of north, south, east, and west and aligned with the four colors of white, red, black, and yellow, which, Mosher notes, embraces the concept of the natural order of four found throughout many indigenous cultures of the world.
“There are four directions, four colors, four elements, four points of wellness,” she says. “These bring balance and harmony to the mind, body, and spirit.”
At the heart of the spa, guests will discover an actual Tenaya Stone — a gift from a Miwok Elder and her family who are descendants of Chief Tenayain Yosemite Valley — that serves as a place to pause and set intentions and offering inspiration to all visitors with its peaceful energy.
“Tenaya Stone Spa’s distinctive setting and experience encourages relaxation, revitalization, and restoring balance,” says Tenaya Stone Spa Director Brett Perkins. “Our customized treatments are designed to be stress-relieving, pampering, and purposeful, combining a blend of therapies and products.”
Tanaya Stone Spa guests can choose from a variety of body treatments, massage, and salon services.
Tenaya Stone Spa Massages:
- Tenaya Signature Massage
- Tenaya River Stone Massage – Incorporates heated river stones to soothe and relax the body
- Head, Hands & Feet With Heart Massage
- Tenaya Signature Couples Massage
- Aromatherapy Massage – Uses plant-based aromas made from essential oils infused with gem elixirs and flower essences
- Herbal Poultice Massage – Uses warmed poultices to melt away muscle tension
- Mother-To-Be Massage – Uses pre-natal techniques, organic products, and pre-natal cushions
Herbal Body Treatments:
- Purify & Refresh Body Treatment – Hydrates and exfoliates with a warm milk nectar wrap, sea salt exfoliation, purifying mud wrap, and oil-infused ginger and grapefruit extract
- Wild Honey and Mud Body Renewal – A four-step treatment including red clay and micro-pumice exfoliation, peat mud nutrient mask, fruit serum, and oil massage
- Nourishing Avocado Body Treatment – Refreshes the skin with dry brushing, a whipped shea sugar exfoliation, and a nourishing mask, along with a scalp, shoulder, and foot massage
Tenaya Stone Spa Foot Treatments:
- Step in Time Foot Massage – A calming foot soak and lower leg massage
- Mindful Traveler Foot Treatment – An exfoliating foot soak and energizing massage to increase circulation and reduce lower leg muscle stress
- Avocado Lime & Honey Foot Treatment – Uses antioxidant oils, smoothing exfoliation, hydrating avocado butter mask, honey-based fruit serum, and agave nectar oil
Spa-goers can add extra magic to their experience with manicures and pedicures. In addition, Tenaya Stone Spa will offer facials and make-up applications at a later date.
Spa services are for adults age 18 and up. However, teens ages 14 to 17 may enjoy certain treatments or services if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Treatments and services may not be booked for children under 14. At this time, all spa guests are required to wear an approved face covering during their entire visit.
Advance reservations are now available for Disneyland Resort hotel guests. The spa will be open for non-hotel guests at a later date. Click here for a complete list of services and to make spa reservations.