As enhancements are made to the entrances and walkways at Walt Disney World, the resort has announced that the personalized Walk Around the World bricks near Magic Kingdom park and the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) will soon be destroyed to make way for the future.
The bricks were originally committed to be on display until 2011. Since the bricks were not designed to be removed one-by-one, guests who purchased them will not be able to take their original brick home.
The bricks are set to be removed as the resort adds new walkways, additional metal detectors and bag screening stations, and re-works tram loading and unloading areas. All of the personalized bricks will be removed in phases, starting with those in front of Magic Kingdom park and at the TTC. There are no plans to remove Disneyland’s versions of these bricks at this time.
As an alternative, guests who sponsored a Walk Around the World brick can purchase a commemorative version now through Aug. 31. Those who sponsored a brick and are interested in getting a souvenir version should follow these steps:
If getting your brick in person:
- Stop by City Hall at Magic Kingdom or Guest Relations at Disney Springs to verify your previous brick by sharing the name and hometown of the guest who sponsored it
- After the brick is verified, you’ll be given a one-time use voucher that can be presented by or before Aug. 31, 2019, at either Tomorrowland Light & Power Co. in Magic Kingdom or the Marketplace Co-Op at Disney Springs
- This voucher will enable you to purchase one commemorative 6-inch brick for $10 plus tax
If getting your brick online
- Email email@example.com or call (407) 828-2791 with the name and hometown of the guest who sponsored the original brick
- After the brick is verified, you’ll be given a one-time use code to use by Aug. 31 on shopDisney to purchase the 6-inch commemorative brick for $10
- This code cannot be redeemed in person or at any physical Disney Store location
The new bricks will offer customization of 2-3 lines of text, up to 16 characters per line. This can include names, hometowns, or other messages.
For all guests, not just those who sponsored an original Walk Around the World brick, a 6-inch brick is available for $29.99, as well as an 8-inch brick for $49.99 – all with customization included. These bricks can be found at Tomorrowland Light & Power Co. in Magic Kingdom, at the Marketplace Co-Op in Disney Springs, and online at shopDisney starting this spring.
UPDATE (3/28/19): One of our staff received a brick they ordered today. It was ordered on March 21 at the Tomorrowland Light & Power Co. location with a quoted arrival time of 3-5 business days. Here’s a look at the front and back with the Annual Passholder option.