Now that holiday celebrations have come to an end at Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood, it’s time to turn our attention towards what the Universal parks have in store for 2022.
Super Nintendo World at Universal Parks
There’s no question the most highly-anticipated addition to Universal Studios Hollywood is the first U.S. version of Super Nintendo World that’s currently under construction (Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan opened on March 18, 2021). Although no official opening date has been announced, Nintendo fans are hopeful the new land will open at the SoCal park this year.
Super Nintendo World at Universal Orlando Resort’s new Universal’s Epic Universe park is not expected to open until 2025.
Rock the Universe – Jan. 28-30, 2022
Billed as “an unforgettable weekend of faith and fun,” Florida’s largest Christian music festival is returning to Universal Orlando Resort this month with main stage performances by some of Christian music’s top artists, worship experiences, and exclusive access to popular Universal Studios attractions during event hours.
Rock the Universe begins with Friday performances by Grammy award-winning Christian pop duo for King & Country, Dove award-winning contemporary Christian artist Matthew West, and “All My Hope” singer Crowder. Saturday performances include Grammy award-winning contemporary Christian rock band Casting Crowns, Grammy award-winning Christian rock artist Zach Williams, and Dove award-winning Christian band Big Daddy Weave.
This year, Rock the Universe guests can also take advantage of a special 2-Park Rock Your Weekend Ticket starting at $129.99 (plus tax) that includes admission to both Universal Orlando parks.
Click here for the full lineup, as well as information about Rock the Universe tickets and vacation packages.
Universal’s Mardi Gras – Feb. 5 – April 24, 2022
After a modified event last year, the good times will be rolling at full speed during Universal’s Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando with a spectacular nighttime parade featuring uniquely-themed floats — and, of course, tons of Mardi Gras beads — and star-studded live concerts on select nights, plus delicious authentic New Orleans-style cuisine.
The concert lineup includes:
- Feb. 5 – Sugar Ray
- Feb. 12 – Diana Ross
- Feb. 19 – Barenaked Ladies
- Feb. 20 – Styx
- Feb. 26 – Jon Pardi
- March 5 – LL Cool J feat. DJ Z-Trip
- March 6 – Marshmello
- March 12 – Lee Brice
- March 13 – Becky G
- March 18 – Khalid
- March 19 – Seal
- March 20 – Gavin DeGraw
- March 25 – The Revivalists
- March 26 – Jimmie Allen
- March 27 – Jason Derulo
Click here for information about Universal’s Mardi Gras.
Lunar New Year – Dates TBA
The popular Universal Studios Hollywood Lunar New Year celebration features a Mandarin-speaking Megatron from Transformers and favorite characters dressed in traditional Chinese attire, including the Minions, Hello Kitty, and Po and Master Tigress from the Kung Fu Panda franchise, who will undoubtedly be particularly pleased to celebrate the Year of the Tiger.
Click here for event details when they become available.
Check out our video of the 2019 Lunar New Year celebration:
Universal Parks’ Running Universal – Dates TBA
While there has been no official announcement about 2022 Running Universal events, the return of runDisney events at Walt Disney World brings hope that runners (and walkers) will also be able to make their way through Universal parks this year.
Special Tickets and Vacation Packages
The new year is bringing great deals, including the extension of the 5-Day, 5-Night hotel and ticket package and return of the Military Freedom Pass at Universal Orlando Resort and discounted annual passes for Universal Studios Hollywood.
5-Day, 5-Night Hotel and Ticket Package (available for purchase through Feb. 9, 2022):
- Pricing starts at $89 per person per night, based on a family of four
- Five nights at Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort or Universal’s Aventura Hotel
- 2-Park 5-Day Park-to-Park Promotional Ticket to Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, including early park admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Universal’s Volcano Bay up to one hour before the park opens (select attractions)
- The vacation package must include Sunday through Thursday travel dates, and the booking must be completed by Feb. 9, 2022 for travel starting Jan. 4 through May 27, 2022 (block-out dates and restrictions apply)
Click here for more information and to make reservations.
2-Park 2022 Military Freedom Pass (available for purchase through Dec. 27, 2022):
- Pricing is $199.99 per adult for access to both Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure with no block-out dates
- For an additional $35, military personnel and their families can purchase the 3-Park 2022 Military Freedom Pass, which includes admission to Universal’s Volcano Bay water theme park
- Available for purchase through Dec. 27, 2022, for use through Dec. 31, 2022
- This offer cannot be purchased at the Universal Orlando Front Gate and is only available with valid identification at participating sales outlets on U.S. Military Base installations
In addition to the Military Freedom Pass, active and retired military members can receive discounted rates at select Universal Orlando Resort hotels (including up to 40% off their room rate at Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort). Call 1-888-464-3617 and place a reservation with the Universal Orlando Resort call center to receive the discount.
Military members can also book the Military Create Your Own Vacation Package and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Exclusive Military Vacation Package. Call 1-877-801-9720 or visit your authorized Military Ticket and Travel Office to purchase either package.
Click here for more information.
Universal Studios Hollywood also offers special pricing for members of the military. Click here for details.
Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Pass Discount (available through April, 7, 2022):
Now through April 7, 2022, guests can save up to $50 when they purchase or renew a Universal Studios Hollywood annual pass (online only).
- Pass Member benefits include discounts on general admission tickets for friends and family to the theme park as well as Halloween Horror Nights (free Halloween Horror Nights tickets on select dates for Platinum level pass holders).
- In-Park food, beverage, and merchandise discount for Platinum and Gold passes)
- Special event invitations for all pass levels.
- Discounts at participating CityWalk locations.
- Blackout dates apply to select passes and reservations may be required for return visits.
Click here for more information.
I Heard a Rumor…
Even before the Fear Factor stage at Universal Studios Florida officially closed in October, rumors were already swirling that the park had something magical planned for the space adjacent to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley. Perhaps a Ministry of Magic-themed experience or attraction? Since we don’t have a time turner, we’ll have to wait and see if something new materializes in 2022.
Universal Orlando’s Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride recently closed for a planned refurbishment, which in and of itself is nothing unusual; however, the length of the closure — through late summer 2022 — has guests speculating about potential changes and/or updates to the indoor coaster, including possibly eliminating Brendan Fraser’s fan-favorite “cup of coffee” bit.
Shrek 4-D has permanently closed at Universal Studios Florida, but there’s been no official announcement about what will replace the beloved attraction… or has there? Universal Orlando Resort recently tweeted this not-so-cryptic message that suggests the banana-loving Minions will be involved.
What are you looking forward to this year at the Universal parks? Let us know in the comments.