2018 is going to be a big year for the attractions industry, as Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and other players will bring new additions and updates to their domestic and international parks throughout the year.
Check out our list of top new additions and updates coming to the parks below:
Walt Disney World:
- All-new bird show featuring “Up” characters replacing Flights of Wonder – In celebration of the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, a new bird show featuring Russell and Dug from Disney/Pixar’s “Up” will replace the recently-closed Flights of Wonder in the Caravan Theater in Anandapur Village. The new show is expected to open in spring 2018.
- Toy Story Land to open in summer 2018 – Woody, Jessie, Buzz and all their friends will make their new home this summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With new attractions like the Slinky Dog Dash family coaster and Alien Swirling Saucers, as well as the quick service restaurant Woody’s Lunch Box, this new area is sure to be a hit with guests of all ages.
- Pirates of the Caribbean ride auction scene refurbishment – The famous auction scene in the classic attraction will be changed this year to reflect a new story, with the Redhead going from bride-for-sale to a fully-fledged pirate.
- New Disneyland After Dark event series begins with “Throwback Nite” – Disneyland invites guests to don their 50s and 60s best to enjoy Disneyland during this special after-hours themed event. This first event in the series takes place on Jan. 18, 2018.
- Pixar Fest brings fun and friendship to Disneyland Resort in 2018 – This exciting event will bring all-new Pixar-themed experiences to both parks, including “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular,” the return of Pixar Play Parade and Paint the Night, and the debut of Pixar Pier. Pixar Fest begins on April 13, 2018.
- Incredicoaster to debut in Pixar Pier in summer 2018 – California Screamin’ will undergo a massive retheming to be transformed into the Incredibles-themed Incredicoaster as part of the Pixar Pier update to Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure.
International Disney Parks:
- Shanghai Disneyland’s Toy Story Land to open in April 2018 – The newest Disney park is about to open its first expansion with Toy Story Land. The new land will feature attractions like Woody’s Round-Up and Rex’s Racer, and is set to open on April 26, 2018.
- Disney FanDaze event brings the 90s to Disneyland Paris – Disneyland Paris is making 90s Disney fans’ dreams come true with this throwback event featuring a Ducktales parade, a Goofy Movie-themed nighttime spectacular, and rare meet-and-greets. This event will be held in June 2018.
Universal Orlando Resort:
- A Celebration of Harry Potter returns with films’ stars – The annual Harry Potter fan event returns to Universal Orlando with highlights including the Harry Potter Expo, panels and demonstrations on the making of the films, guest appearances by some of the films’ stars, and more. A Celebration of Harry Potter runs from Jan. 26-28, 2018.
- The Fast & Furious – Supercharged coming spring 2018 – This high-speed adventure takes guests on an original adventure with the cast of the “Fast & Furious” franchise. This new attraction will feature the “Virtual Line” offering that is currently available for Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon, and is expected to open in spring 2018.
- Universal’s Aventura Hotel to open in August 2018 – Universal’s newest hotel will offer guests a unique, modern experience when it opens to reservations in August. Rates start at $97 per night for a seven-night stay, and $116 per night for a four-night stay.
- Universal announces multiple new additions for 2018 , including a new Harry Potter castle projection show, Terminator 2: 3-D’s replacement, a new venue replacing Element at Universal CityWalk, and more to be revealed later in the year.
Universal Studios Hollywood:
- Shrek 4-D to become Dreamworks Theatre featuring Kung-Fu Panda – Shrek 4-D is making way for a new attraction themed to Kung-Fu Panda at Universal Studios Hollywood. The new theater will have an art deco style, feature a classic marquee, and could potentially rotate its content seasonally.
International Universal Parks:
- Universal Studios Japan receives Sailor Moon 4-D, nighttime parade and more in 2018 – Universal Studios Japan is set to receive some exciting new additions in the new year, including a Sailor Moon 4-D attraction, a Final Fantasy-themed VR coaster, a new nighttime parade and more.
- SeaWorld’s newest adventure, Infinity Falls, to debut this summer – In 2017, SeaWorld Orlando announced their newest attraction, Infinity Falls, for a summer 2018 debut. This ride is described as a thrilling trip through raging rapids, and a plunge down the world’s tallest river rapid drop.
Legoland Florida Resort:
- Project X coaster to transform into The Great Lego Race VR – Legoland Florida Resort is one of three Legoland parks that will receive The Great Lego Race VR overlay, set to open in 2018.